The Summer Playlist: Alt-Pop Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Haverford chapter.

Summer is among us, and with that comes the beach, the pool, parties, vacations, and so much more. One thing that goes perfect with all of the above is a good, solid playlist. That’s why I’ll be bringing you a variety of stunes (summer tunes, yes, I made it up.) Whether you want to kick back to some acoustic jams or are looking for some pulsing beats to get your fist pump on to, I’ve got you covered. 

This week I’ll be bringing you some alt-pop favorites, new and old, that are carefree, laidback, and fun, just like summer. Turn them up and enjoy!

The Givers- Up Up Up
As the first single from the Lafayette group’s debut album, this track is an infectious singalong that will definitely get you “Up up up” and dancing this summer. 

Cults- Go Outside
This dainty pop anthem from New York’s Cults is perfect for that depressing rainy summer day when you really want to go outside. See what I did there?

Best Coast- The Only Place
“Why would you live anywhere else?/We’ve got the ocean, got the babes/Got the sun, we’ve got the waves/This is the only place for me”
I’m just going to say that if you’re from California you’re probably going to like this one. Lead singer Bethany Cosentino sings about the luxuries of being a California girl on this quintisential summer cut. 

Ball Park Music- All I Want is You
I had to include this one in the mix. Its catchy and I figured the whole hand clapping bit made it summery enough. But seriously, check out this track from the Australian sextet who you’ll surely be hearing more from in the future.

Passion Pit- Take a Walk
If you haven’t heard this breezy first single from Passion Pit’s sophomore album, due out July 24, where have you been?! But seriously, have a listen, you’ve been deprived.

Graffiti6-Free
Get ready because I have a feeling 2012 will be the year of Graffiti6’s unbeatable jams.

Of Monsters and Men- Mountain Sound
This track from the Icelandic powerhouse will have you singing along from its first chorus of “oh, oh, ohs” to the final handclap. Keep your ears out for more from Of Monsters and Men this year, they aren’t receiving hosanna after hosanna for nothing.

Chappo- Come Home
Well this song just screams summer. This one will definitely be on repeat.

Grouplove-Naked Kids
“It’s summer time fun, relax and stay young”
When I think of the perfect summer track, I think of this. Grouplove’s whole sound is just made for the whole carefree, singalong type deal. If you’re into Naked Kids, I’ definitely recommend checking out the rest of their debut album, Never Trust a Happy Song.

Goye- State of the Art
I know what you’re thinking, but yes Gotye DOES have other songs than “Somebody that I used to know,”and wow does this one sound like anything but that. Utilizing a vocoder, Gotye jams out on this raggae-tinged tune.  

Crystal Fighters- At Home
This track from Spain’s Crystal Fighters is airy, upbeat, and an essential part of your summer playlist. 

Foxes-Youth
What better song to round out the playlist than (and I’m going to go out on a limb here) the “Forever Young” of our generation. You may have heard Adventure Club’s remix of this track, which is a gem in it’s own right, but you just can’t beat the original. Plus, I’m a sucker for 2:47 onward.

Lauren Gill is in her junior year at Haverford College, majoring in Religion with a concentration in Peace, Justice, and Human Rights. She is from Lewes, Delaware and spent her fall semester abroad in Australia at the University of Melbourne. Lauren is a regular contributor to her college's newspaper, the Bi-College news, writing music and concert reviews. Besides her love for all things music, she also enjoys traveling, reality television, getting her fitness on, and of course, tweeting.