Summer Music Festivals: Your Guide to the Hottest Tickets & Shows!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Haverford chapter.

Summer is almost here! Make sure to take a break from your internship search to plan a little fun for yourself this summer. Get your hipster gear on, water bottles filled, and get hyped by previewing this season’s major music festivals across the country.

1. Coachella kicked off the festival season last weekend in Indio, California with headliners Passion Pit and Metric and continues to rock into this weekend. Although you’re a little late to catch this year’s festival, check out the live stream of the headliners through Sunday and last weekends’ highlights are now available online, which include Phoenix (with R. Kelly?), The Postal Service, Two Door Cinema Club, and Alt-J at www.coachella.com. Tickets go on sale in January, so keep a look out for next year.

2. Bonnaroo or bust! Don’t miss out on the Manchester, Tennessee festival June 13-16 before the summer gets too hot to handle. With back to basics headliners like Paul McCartney, Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, and the Wu-Tang Clan, Bonnaroo knows how to keep it classic. But mixed with the xx, Portugal. The man, and Purity Ring, the lineup is an eclectic and exceptional range of artists for any festival goer’s taste. Bonnaroo is an all-camping festival; so get ready to pile into a tent or camper for four days of sweaty musical excellence. Tickets are on sale at www.bonnaroo.com for $269.50 and RV and tent rentals are also available through the festival.

3. Staying in Philly for the summer? Take the weekend off from your on-campus job and head to Dover, Delaware for the Firefly music festival June 21-23. From headliners like Red Hot Chili Peppers to folk bros the Avett Brothers to dance floor DJs Calvin Harris and Zedd, Firefly has got a lot going on for a lesser-known festival. Definitely worth the hour and a half drive from Haverford. 3 Day Passes are $258, but if you’re feeling thrifty, keep an eye out of single day passes possibly being released closer to the festival.

4. As a Chicago native, I am a little biased in saying I am most excited about Lollapalooza this summer. Right in the heart of downtown Chicago, Lolla brings the festival experience to the city and features some of the big names of Bonnaroo for those who prefer an urban setting. Lolla’s headliners really shine with The Killers and Mumford & Sons, as well as featuring new favorites Imagine Dragons and The Lumineers. Points for diversity for including country star Eric Church, Nancy Sinatra bad-ass Lana Del Rey, and newcomers The Neighbourhood. Check out the best of the Midwest August 2-4. Tickets are sold out on the Lollapalooza website, but search Stubhub or ebay for second hand sellers.

Looking for a cheaper way to go? Some festivals offer volunteer programs where you can sign up to work for free in exchange for a ticket. For more info, check out the festivals’ websites. So get a gang of your friends, scour some tickets online, and make the most out of your summer by heading to out to a festival.

Charlotte Bax is a Junior at Haverford College and is majoring in History with double-minors in French and Film. She is originally from Santa Monica, California, but has also lived in San Francisco and currently resides in London with her family. Charlotte enjoys cooking, watching movies, going to sports games in Philadelphia. In addition, she enjoys traveling, surfing with her dog Cassie, and skiing during the winter in Solitude, Utah. After college, Charlotte hopes to start her own line of women's sports apparel.