Meet Haverford’s Acappella Celebrities: “The Looney Tunes”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Haverford chapter.

Haverford is know for its eclectic mix of Acappella groups on campus. This week we are introducing you to one of those fantastic groups, the Looney Tunes!

Make sure to check out their concert “Work From Home” this Friday the 30th at 9:00 in the Blackbox Theatre!!

Name: Looney Tunes (The Tunes)

Year Founded: 1992

What is the origin of the “Looney Tunes” name?

No idea. It’s a mystery.

Does the group specialize in a certain genre of music?

Well, we sing whatever we like…we generally stick to pop, jazz, R&B and soul revival, but we have also sung country, rock, motown, and a lot more. 

What is the group’s favorite song to perform?

Thank You (Boyz II Men)

Most memorable concert?

This year we had a really great joint concert with the Humtones and Oxford Blues. We also performed for a local high school music class and we brought a special arrangement that tied into the classes curriculum…after we sang we talked to the students about our arranging process and our music. It was a really exciting experience and we hope to visit the students again this year. 

If you could sum up the Looney Tunes’s swagger in one word what would it be?

Surveyed the group on this one, and we ended up with “hot,” “quirky,” “chill,” and “swag”…

What should we expect to hear/see at your upcoming concert “Work From Home?”

Some old favorites and some new songs too — come to the concert on Friday and find out!

How can people get involved if they want to join the Looney Tunes?

We hold auditions twice a year, once in September and once in January. All are welcome, so come out and sing for us if you’re interested! At the begining of the spring semester, keep an eye out for audition anouncements in the DC lobby and on the Go boards.

Charlotte Bax is a Junior at Haverford College and is majoring in History with double-minors in French and Film. She is originally from Santa Monica, California, but has also lived in San Francisco and currently resides in London with her family. Charlotte enjoys cooking, watching movies, going to sports games in Philadelphia. In addition, she enjoys traveling, surfing with her dog Cassie, and skiing during the winter in Solitude, Utah. After college, Charlotte hopes to start her own line of women's sports apparel.