Magill Etiquette: Everything you need to know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Haverford chapter.

I admit I haven’t always been the best behaved Magill go-er. I do my best to write one of my thousands of essays and then the next thing I know, I’m giggling with my friends or in my most shameful moment, throwing a Magill Airways paper airplane (unsuccessfully) at the table next to me. But, in a library full of so many tiers, lounges, and secret rooms, it’s easy to get mixed up about you should be conducting yourself.  This article will serve as a guide as to how we should really all be acting when we hit that libary we hate to love, or love to hate, Magill.

While working, hearing people talking can be one of the most distracting and downright frustrating things to deal with. That’s why there are certain spots in Magill that talking is and is not acceptable. If you’re looking to whisper with friends (to a certain point), the reference room and boat on the main tier are a solid option. The study rooms are fair game as well, so if you’re trying to talk quietly, try to snag one before they fill up!

Some seem to find that the buzz helps them concentrate, though. Charlotte Bax ’13 says, “I don’t mind if there’s a little chatter since I usually have my headphones on and I’m in the zone. I usually work better in a coffee shop-like environment.”

However, for those deep in thesis season, the excessive talking can be enough to drive them to their carrel. This is the case with Grace Stockbower ’13, who said, “I’m on my thesis grind right now so I’m very on edge about people talking in the library. So, when I’m trying to get work done I go to my carrel in the basement since I know that places like the reference room will not be conducive to optimal levels of concentration.”

If you’re wondering if you’re talking too loud or too much, Bo Abrams ’14 sticks to a golden rule that we should all keep in mind. “I think that people should do whatever they think is respectful.”

Magill has an abundance of quiet places on the other tiers to get work done, but if you’re hesitant to explore, or afraid of ghosts, there are still some reliable rooms on the main tier. The Phillips wing and periodical room have proven to be consistently silent spots to get work done. It seems to be one of those unspoken rules that talking is a no-no in those areas, so if you’re growing frustrated with the amount of distraction around you, don’t be afraid to try them out!

Even if you’re not talking in Magill, there are still other ways to annoy your table-mates. “My biggest Magill pet peeve is when people have their phone on the table on vibrate because even though I can’t hear it I can still feel the vibration,” shared Brooke Kelly ’15.

For Emma Bracker ’15, chatter isn’t at the root of her Magill aggravations. “I think that talking is distracting, but the worst is giggling because the nosey part in all of us really wants to know what’s so funny.”

So, next time you’re goofing off in Magill, remember why you really went there. There are many places all over campus to socialize and hang out, but only a select few to really get down to business on the seemingly endless pile of work.

After all, according to Jonny Black ’13, “It’s a place of scholars. You aren’t allowed admittance unless you’re a savant.” 

Lauren Gill is in her junior year at Haverford College, majoring in Religion with a concentration in Peace, Justice, and Human Rights. She is from Lewes, Delaware and spent her fall semester abroad in Australia at the University of Melbourne. Lauren is a regular contributor to her college's newspaper, the Bi-College news, writing music and concert reviews. Besides her love for all things music, she also enjoys traveling, reality television, getting her fitness on, and of course, tweeting.