This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Haverford chapter.

Ever wonder who is responsible for keeping all of Haverford’s athletics events up and running? Introducing this week’s Campus Celebrity, Jim Kenyon! Chances are you’ve already been at some event that Jim has coordinated, but you can definitely count on having some sort of interaction with him whether up front or behind the scenes! Jim is behind all of the GIAC behind the scenes workings and coordinates lots all around campus. Thanks for all you do, Jim!

Name: Jim Kenyon

Hometown: Media, Pennsylvania

Position: Athletic Facilities Manager/Coordinator of Game Operations/Equipment Manager

How long have you been working at Haverford?

I started working at Haverford in November 2009, so I have been here for 3 1/2 years.

What is a typical day like for you at Haverford?

I’ve been working in sports for over 10+ years and have learned that there really is no typical day, but if I had to answer this question it go something like this…first thing I do when I get in is make sure that all team practice laundry is done and ready to go for practices that day. If there is still laundry to do, I usually make that my first priority. As laundry is getting done, I usually bring up the practice/game schedule for the day and make sure fields and facilities are ready to go and playable for that day. If there is a game, I will typically make sure that the student staff for that game is all squared away and the visiting team is provided with all information that they may need prior to the game. After that it is pretty much dealing with any requests for spaces that come in, that may include a space for pickup or practice to a space for a dance group, singing group, or reception of some sort. And then just keeping an eye on the facilities for any work orders that need to be submitted for things that need to be repaired.

What is your favorite part of your job?

Well I firmly believe that there is nothing like working on a college campus, but I’d say the favorite part of my job is the game operations side of it and being at athletic events. I know how hard the students at Haverford work on and off the field and it is great to see them succeed in both, but especially on the field and I like to think that I play a part in that somehow.

Any funny/interesting stories since you’ve gotten the job? 

So during my first full year here I received a phone call from someone I would not expect to call me, and that was from Ryan Howard, the starting first baseman for the Philadelphia Phillies. Ryan and I have actually known each other since 2006 when I worked for the Phillies, but hadn’t talked as regularly since I left after that season. He needed a more private place to do personal training workouts and had heard from a friend of mine that I now worked here and that Haverford was a more private type of setting with great athletic facilities. We worked out a schedule and he was able to do his personal training workouts here at Haverford in the GIAC. The following season he went on to tear his Achilles, so maybe that’s why he didn’t come back haha. But that’s the thing about working in sports, you always need to stay in touch because you never know when you may need someone.

Charlotte Bax is a Junior at Haverford College and is majoring in History with double-minors in French and Film. She is originally from Santa Monica, California, but has also lived in San Francisco and currently resides in London with her family. Charlotte enjoys cooking, watching movies, going to sports games in Philadelphia. In addition, she enjoys traveling, surfing with her dog Cassie, and skiing during the winter in Solitude, Utah. After college, Charlotte hopes to start her own line of women's sports apparel.