Fall Plenary Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Haverford chapter.

Were you unable to make it to Plenary this past Sunday? Don’t worry! Her Campus Haverford has your back with a quick recap of what went down and what the student body voted for!

Quorum was reached in a short 20 minutes, which seemed like no time at all, especially after what happened at Plenary last spring. After reaching quorum, we had a moment of silence before getting underway.

This year, two resolutions were proposed to the Haverford student body and eventually passed. The first had to do with the procedure that will be followed after an Honor Code fails ratification as presented by Melissa Lee-Litowitz ‘15. This resolution was proposed after what happened last spring when the Honor Code wasn’t ratified. Prior to the calling of Special Plenary where the Honor Code was ratified, many people were a little confused as to what was happening in regards to the Code. If this situation happens again in the future, this proposal will be very helpful with clarifying what to do! The proposal says that if the Honor Code fails ratification, the community will continue to follow the Code for a transition period of 6 academic weeks. Then a Special Plenary will be organized during this time to attempt to ratify the Code. Even if the Code fails to be ratified at Special Plenary, further Plenaries can still be called to attempt to ratify the Honor Code. I’m sure most Fords would agree that this resolution will be helpful in the future, especially after some of the confusion we experienced last year!

The second proposal was presented by Jon Sweitzer-Lamme ’14 and was a revision of Honor Council Procedures. It seemed like most members of the Honor Council and community were in support of this proposal as it clarified a lot of some of the confusing wordage in the document. This proposal also passed.

Finally, Shelby Lyons ’15 and Ivan Sanchez ’15, JSAAP Co-Chairs, came up to present the student body with evidence to ratify the alcohol policy. The student body voted to ratify the alcohol policy.

Overall, I think most Fords would say that Fall Plenary was a great experience. Her Campus Haverford wants to give a big thank you to everyone in the community for all of their hard work to put together proposals and the event!