Fagan’s Flick Review: Love is All You Need

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Haverford chapter.

Recently released to DVD and Blu-ray is a film that may not be on many people’s radar, but for anyone who likes dashing older men, like George Clooney, it should be. How is it that some of these men just keep getting better with age? They are like a fine wine. The movie I am referring to though is a Danish romantic comedy called Love Is All You Need (2012) that stars Pierce Brosnan. (Do not let the fact that this is a foreign film scare you away because more than half of the time they speak English in the film and there are always subtitles for the rest!)

Love Is All You Need follows Ida, a hairdresser, who just finished treatment for breast cancer and is now in remission. After finding out the good news, Ida returns home to find her husband screwing his much younger co-worker on their couch. Amid the chaos of her own marriage, Ida’s daughter is getting married soon on an Italian lemon plantation. Ida decides to fly out to the wedding alone, leaving her husband to get there how he choses. En route to the wedding, after a nasty parking garage car accident, Ida meets the father of her daughter’s fiancé, a widower and the owner of the lemon plantation, Philip, who is also traveling alone. With this, the stage is set for an unforgettable wedding.

As the bulk of the plot takes place in Italy, the scenes, shot in Sorrento on the Amalfi Coast, are set against a gorgeous backdrop that truly adds to the charm of the film. So here is my advice: grab the girls for a low-key evening, throw a bag of pop-corn in the microwave, splurge the $4.99 to rent Love Is All You Need on iTunes, deviate from mainstream Hollywood for the night, and find out the fate of Ida and Philip!