“Conversations with Upperclassmen”: Nora Landis-Shack, ’13

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Haverford chapter.

Name: Nora Landis-Shack

Year: 2013

Major: Psychology, French minor

Hometown: New York City

You recently participated in a “Conversations with Upperclassmen” video and you had so many great things to say about studying abroad. What is your fondest memory?

I did the OAR video to explain why I studied abroad and why I think everyone should study abroad. It was a chance for me to share with the community what the experience was like, where I went, what I learned, and how much of an impact it had on my life. Essentially, GO ABROAD! It’s the most amazing experience you’ll ever have, and even if you have a hard time adjusting, like I did, you’ll learn so much about yourself and about the world from being away from Haverford and the US for a semester.

We hear that you are making an Admissions video as well. What is it about and what is the most important thing you want to get across to your audience?

For Admissions I’ve been working on a video for prospective students about why we love Haverford! It’s a mix of little vignettes of campus life, and longer interviews with students involved in different areas on campus. It’s intended to be used on the admissions website and sent out to students still waiting to make their decisions about Haverford to show why this is such a great place to be.

When you catch a break from thesis-ing.. What’s your favorite way to spend your free time?

When I’m not thesising I like to relax with friends. Um, I love running (just ran my first 5k in exactly 30!), especially now that the weather’s so nice. I do freelance writing for a publication in Philly, so I’ve been working on that as I look for jobs back in NYC. I’ve been teaching myself the ukulele, so I’m hoping I’ll have a few songs to break out for Haverfest. Really just hanging out, chilling in the sunshine, enjoying my last few weeks here is how I plan to spend my free time.  Maybe throw a Saxby’s froyo in there for kicks.

Charlotte Bax is a Junior at Haverford College and is majoring in History with double-minors in French and Film. She is originally from Santa Monica, California, but has also lived in San Francisco and currently resides in London with her family. Charlotte enjoys cooking, watching movies, going to sports games in Philadelphia. In addition, she enjoys traveling, surfing with her dog Cassie, and skiing during the winter in Solitude, Utah. After college, Charlotte hopes to start her own line of women's sports apparel.