To You: Summer Send-off 2015

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Harvard chapter.

I don’t know about you, but I’m in denial that the 2014-2015 school year is already over. Since you’re reading here instead of preparing for your next great summer adventure, I’ll assume you feel the same way. Perhaps I can leave you with a few words that will make you feel ready for the next few months. With our bags packed, reunions with hometowns beginning, and the Class of 2015 preparing to graduate, let’s take a moment to reflect on another year at Harvard. 

To our readers: This would literally not be possible without you. Thanks for the love on social media, feedback of all kinds, and for coming to us with potential stories. Nothing makes us happier than creating content you want to read, so thank you for all of the ways you help us do that. 

To our writers: Enjoy a well-deserved break! The growth of Her Campus Harvard over the last year can be attributed primarily to your hard work. New writers, your enthusiasm renews me every time we meet and every time I read your articles. “Old” writers (although I feel about as comfortable with that adjective as I do when people call me a rising Junior), I hope you know how much we value you. I could never thank you enough for your dedication. 

To Annie, Stephanie, and Windsor: Thanks for all the survival kits. (One should say thanks for free food before anything else.) These care packages always seemed to arrive right as we were on the brink of collapsing under the weight of our third “midterm” for a single course. Thanks for creating (and attending, in many cases) many events in Boston; they always make our chapter feel special. From shopping sprees to fashion shows to panels to book signings, you really outdid yourselves this year.

To the incoming class of 2019: Welcome! You’ve probably been bombarded with a lot of congratulations and advice about your upcoming years at Harvard, so I’ll give you neither. Rather, I’ll tell you a truth about this summer. Some might say that this is the “last summer” which is entirely your own, free from obligation. But while financial restraints and career pressures are certainly real concerns at Harvard during the summer, I’d like to frame things a little differently. Yes, this summer is your own: take the time to do all the fun things you’ve been putting off during the academic year, create some final memories for you and your hometown friends to share, and end up with some stories to share with new friends in Annenberg next fall that have nothing to do with accomplishments or career plans. But don’t fret about summers to come. If anyone is letting you believe that it gets worse from here, they’re uninformed or trying to scare you. Harvard has so many opportunities (some funded) that you will be excited about that it will be hard to pick among them.

To my outgoing co-editor Halie: I will never again believe it when people say that friends can’t be good co-workers. Thank you for recognizing the validity and importance and potential and fun in what we do. And on a personal level, thank you for teaching me crazy amounts about organization, being poised (in the face of anything), and–most importantly–dreaming, something I had forgotten to do for a while. This semester wouldn’t have been the same without you by my side. 

To my incoming co-editor Zoë: I am so excited to work with you! But I think our accidentally way-too-long planning sesh already made that obvious. Good luck this summer! I know you’re going to have a great time working at Random House Germany, and you’ll come back with great stories and experiences which will improve our magazine.

To Harvard: Byeeeeeeee! We won’t be posting anything new over the summer, but we’ll be back in the fall. We are so excited to be ranked as a Pink Level Chapter and we aim to keep improving as we move forward! Wherever you choose to spend your summer this year, we sincerely hope that it’s your best one yet. See you in August.

HCXO,

Catherine

Product Management Intern at Her Campus