This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Harvard chapter.

No, not that Gaga. This Gaga:

Don’t worry, I’ll convince you.

Gaga is a movement language invented by Ohad Naharin, an Israeli contemporary dance choreographer. Gaga is difficult to explain through written language, but to put it briefly, Gaga is  “a continuous, sensation-based movement class” in which you practice listening to your body and learn how to move in new ways. There are no mirrors, no observers, sometimes not even music. Sight and hearing are important in Gaga, but physical sensation— awareness of what is going on inside of your body, as well as how your body feels existing in the space you’re in— are what guide your practice. According to Ohad, a lot of people, especially dancers, give orders to their body, but listening is just as, if not more, important. Ohad claims that listening is how you learn about weakness and blockages in your body, and that the pleasure of dancing comes from listening. 

If you, like many students, find yourself constantly in your head, Gaga is a great way to shift your energy from your brain down to the rest of your body. Gaga classes at Harvard consist of one hour of continuous movement which you devote totally to listening to and researching your body. That hour can be challenging, draining, and even exhausting, but you will leave rejuvenated and with a new perspective. 

Non-credit Gaga classes occur weekly at noon on Tuesdays and Thursdays in the Dance Center. Additionally, a for credit Gaga class is offered in the Fall semesters. Keep an eye on Boston Dance Alliance’s website for free Gaga classes throughout the year!

Audrey Thorne

Harvard '19

Audrey is a Senior in Pforzheimer house. She likes writing, adventure, Tatte, and doing things ironically it's no longer ironic. She's also Co-Campus Coordinator of the Her Campus Harvard branch.