Things to do this President’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Harvard chapter.

This is the Monday we have all been waiting for… since the start of the spring semester. It’s President’s Day! Why are we so excited, you ask? Well, Harvard decided to give us the day off this President’s Day and we couldn’t be happier. The best part about this long weekend is that the weather in Boston is wonderful (for February)! So here’s a list of things to do this long weekend to get out of the Harvard bubble and enjoy the long-awaited rays of sunshine that make it feel almost like spring time:

1. Take a shopping stroll down Newbury St.

There are so many great deals happening this weekend in celebration of President’s Day. Maybe it’s time to treat yourself to some new goodies for finally getting back into the swing of things. After all, Valentine’s Day has already come and gone, and it’s important to make the most important Valentine feel special (you!).

2. Venture out into the North End for some good eats.

We hear that the North End is a great spot to find amazing Italian food. There’s a restaurant around every corner to stop into and be transported to the land of pasta and so much yummy bread! The buildings in the oldest inhabited part of Boston are also great to have a photoshoot with!

3. Spend an afternoon down by the (Charles) river.

With the optimal weather, taking a couple of hours to lay down a blanket and stretch yourself out next to the river is a great thing to relieve some stress. Stare out into the frozen vastness of the Charles, but don’t try to walk across! The ice is definitely deceptive.

4. Get cultured and visit the MFA for the day.

A museum is a great thing to visit if you just can’t get away from the fact that you should be in class on a Monday. Take a stroll through the galleries and try to find the meaning of life within the strokes of a painting. The best part? It’s free with your Harvard ID!

Vanessa is a sophomore at Harvard studying Human Developmental and Regnerative Biology with a secondary in Global Health and Health Policy. She is originally from South Texas and is very involved with the Latinx community at Harvard as well as Harvard's Science Club for Girls. When not in a lab or working as a tour guide, Vanessa likes to spend her free time in thrift stores or playing Pokemon Go shamelessly.