freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Thanksgiving Reflections: My Mother

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Harvard chapter.

I just wanted to take a moment to write about how grateful I am for my mother.

She raised all three of her kids to be strong and independent. Particularly her daughters. It was subtle, but the way she raised us had a huge influence on where we are today. 

For instance, when talking about us buying our own houses in the future, or major future expenses, she always talked about it as our income, not us plus our partner. The idea was that we would not even have the mindset of relying on someone else, as we would achieve our goals, on our terms, with the confidence that she instilled in us.

Not only this but education. Now, my mother went to graduate school, but she still had expectations for us. Academics, doing what was needed to reach our goals, to get to those careers we had envisioned since we were young. That was a priority for us, and for her.

Finally, she made sure our creative minds were cultivated through dance, art, writing, or whatever other activity we wanted to do.

I am grateful for her example, and her parenting.

Through sacrifice, hard work, and love, she helped me get to where I am today, and for that, I am forever grateful.

Jamie is a sophomore at Harvard studying Bioengineering, S.B. with a secondary in Computer Science. She is on the board of Harvard's Society of Women Engineers and can often be found dancing on campus, listening to music, working out, or honing her entrepreneurial skills at workshops at the Harvard iLab or in Boston.