This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Harvard chapter.

As I’ve mentioned in previous posts, foreign drugstores act as a sort of beauty Mecca as far as I’m concerned. No matter the city I’m visiting, or how little time I have there, I always carve out time to stop into the local pharmacy and pick up some new treats. This time, I went to Madrid over spring break and totally revamped my skin care for spring! For once, all of the items are also available stateside so I thought I’d share my three steps to great skin this spring, even if it’s still snowing in Boston.

1. Even if you have combination-oily or normal skin, using face wash morning and night can be drying and harsh. Switch to a combination makeup-remover/toner at least once a day! As we transition into warmer months, this will help you maintain a fresh face without losing any moisture unncessarily. I love the “Sebium” version of the holy-grail Bioderma cleansing water!
  2. Add an extra step to your skin care routine with a “beauty elixir.” This is really any mix of essential oils that can come in either a spray or drop form and will work wonders in evening out your complexion. I put off buying the famous Caudalie spray for years because of the price, but I eventually bit the bullet while in Spain and I honestly could not be happier with the results. If you can swing it, this is an awesome way to treat yourself (and your skin) as the semester continues to build up to finals. The aromatic mist is relaxing and luxurious, and can offer a much-needed respite from stuffy library air.
  3. Finally, a good moisturizer is the keystone of any routine. I don’t know about you guys, but I love the feeling of “plump” skin — that is, skin that has actively soaked up a ton of moisture, rather than just having a layer of lotion smeared over top. For this, there is nothing better than Avene’s TriXera emollient cream. I have tried moisturizers of different prices and origin for years, and I can’t stop coming back to this.

Zoë is a senior at Harvard studying English, French, and Classics. She is an active member of the theatre community as one of the few specialized stage makeup designers and artists on campus. When not in the dressing rooms and at the makeup tables of the various stages available at Harvard, she is reading anything she can get her hands on, drinking endless cups of tea, and exploring new restaurants in the Boston area.
harvard contributor