This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Harvard chapter.

There are an enormous number of clothes that go straight to the trash bin every year. According to the BBC, 92 million tons of “textiles waste” — clothes — gets thrown out annually. Thankfully, secondhand clothing is booming. Here are three secondhand clothes apps, ranked, so you can help decrease waste straight from your phone!

Depop

Depop is by far one of the best apps out there for secondhand clothing. With an Explore page just like Instagram’s highlighting their top finds and tons of shops that specialize in different aesthetics and fashion styles, Depop is the place to be. You can even filter your search by types of styles — dark academia is a personal fave of mine — and find style bundles from sellers on a budget. What makes Depop stand out from the rest of the pack is its easy-to-use interface and the fact that many of its sellers are low-income small businesses trying to make a living. You can even negotiate with sellers on the app for better pricing. Shop small!

ThredUp

Coming into second place is ThredUp, an online consignment store that makes finding secondhand clothing easy. The app is fairly simple to use and has a massive inventory that is constantly updating, so you never have to worry about running out of wardrobe ideas. ThredUp is also known for constantly holding sales, and it’s rare that you’ll have to purchase something for full price. What irks me about ThredUp is its weird method of categorizing clothes — for example, I once found a $79 pair of Dior dress slacks along with some five-dollar Gap skinny jeans when I searched for “casual pants.” ThredUp also charges a flat shipping fee of $5.99, and there is no way of getting out of that.

Poshmark

Poshmark is great if you know what you want and are willing to pay a little extra for shipping what you want. The app lets you filter and categorize everything, down to brands, colors, and specific price limits. Those are all wins in my book, but what stops me from shopping is their $7.99 shipping fee and the fact that sellers can put down the supposed price they paid to show the buyer their savings. I know many unscrupulous buyers who simply lie about the original price to mark up their prices — and their profits. Poshmark also doesn’t have the cool inventory that ThredUp or Depop have, so it’s not as fun to look around. I would recommend it for anyone who knows specifically what they’re looking for.

You can download Depop, ThredUp, and Poshmark in the App Store or through Google Play. I really hope you get these nifty apps and start wearing amazing thrifted outfits!

Hannah Martinez is a student concentrating in History at Harvard College. She writes for the Harvard Crimson (you can check out her work here: https://www.thecrimson.com/writer/1215808/Hannah_J._Martinez/) and plays on Harvard's quidditch team. In her spare time, Hannah mentors girls in Boston through Harvard's Strong Women Strong Girls chapter, teaches writing to school-aged children, and writes for the publication Stories from the Border.
Harvard Senior studying Romance Languages & Literatures and Art, Film, and Visual Studies with a secondary in Ethnicity, Migration, and Rights.