timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Sh*tfaced Shakespeare in 7 Hashtags

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Harvard chapter.

My friend and I saw Sh*tfaced Shakespeare’s rendition of Romeo and Juliet for the first time this week, and I have so many things to say about it. As Benvolio would say, “Borrow Cupid’s wings, and soar with them above a common bound.” Or as a drunk man playing Benvolio would say, “Let’s go to the thing, maybe. Yeah, that.”

1. #Same

Shakespeare plays transcend time and culture. They will still be relatable after you and are long dead. At the same time, Sh*tfaced Shakespeare is very much in the now. It speaks to the thoughts of a modern (drunk) actor, and it is pretty hard to replicate the thoughts of a drunk Shakespeare actor.

2. #Iconic

Shakespeare itself it super quotable, but when you mix in the modern language of drunk actors, you get gold.

3. #HotMess

The actors get sloppy drunk.

Like, really sloppy.

4. #FourthWall

Two lucky audience members get to tell our actor when to take another drink. That’s my kind of audience participation.

5. #Dirty

The innuendos are everywhere, from the phallic costumes to the added word play and “sex scenes.” If Shakespeare likes sex jokes, Sh*tfaced Shakespeare loves them. 

6. #LoveIsLove

Sometimes the best way to modernize Shakespeare is to let Romeo hit on Tybalt and then they kiss a little bit and they end up together.

7. #Lit

There’s a bar in the lobby so that you can join the fun. Just don’t get on stage (unless they ask you to) (which they might) (it has happened).

So grab yourself a cocktail, sit back, relax, and enjoy the one hour’s traffic of their stage. 

Audrey Thorne

Harvard '19

Audrey is a Senior in Pforzheimer house. She likes writing, adventure, Tatte, and doing things ironically it's no longer ironic. She's also Co-Campus Coordinator of the Her Campus Harvard branch.