All the Boys: P.S. I Still Love You
All the Boys: P.S. I Still Love You
Netflix

P.S. I have thoughts but I Still Love You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Harvard chapter.

There is no denying that To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before was a huge success. Netflix had finally hit it in the head with a rom-com that wasn’t overrun by its own clichés and launched into stardom Lana Condor and Noah Centineo, who we all started to unwillingly share as America’s new boyfriend. Thus, it is not a surprise that To All the Boys: P.S. I Still Love You has been eagerly awaited. Well, it is finally here. It is beautiful. It is romantic. It is cliché. And I love it. But, still, that doesn’t mean I don’t have thoughts. So here are some of my thoughts and observations about P.S. I Still Love You:                     [Spoilers ahead]

1. Lara Jean Covey is all of us- or who we all wished we could’ve been in high school- but I wish she had been given more character development. On To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before, LJ was a balanced blend of good, innocent, insecure girl that we could all relate to. That is not untrue in P.S. I Still Love You, but I truly wished we had seen her grow more into herself this time around. Her lack of experience with dating and insecurities about her relationship with Peter are just so stressed in the movie that we basically only see her having conversations about this single subject with all of the supporting characters. I missed her fun, effortlessly cool, quirky personality and her strong fashion game! I wanted to see her rock some outfits with some newfound confidence. Instead, we get an entire movie where all she does is doubt herself and everyone else without tangible reason. It’s important to note though, that this comment is in no way related to Lana Condor’s acting. Lana killed it. You could feel all the emotions LJ was going through with all the detail and care that Lana put into her expressions.

2. Peter Kavinsky needs to be protected from heartbreak at all costs. Yes, Noah Centineo is great, but what I really wish is that we all could have a real Peter Kavinsky each. Lara Jean does not deserve this precious boy. He particularly did not deserve the ‘on the verge of breaking-up’ drama that she constantly kept him in. I know he was in the wrong by waiting for Gen in the bathtub and denying she was the one to take the video. But honestly, I could see where he was coming from, I wouldn’t want to exacerbate their tension even more either. Besides, LJ was all mixed signals at that point in time- I would’ve given up too- and, well, he wasn’t overstepping when the entire purpose of the fake relationship was for him to get back with Gen in the first place. As to supporting Gen through a difficult time, I would hope any friend or significant other of mine would be so kind as to help out. 

3. Is John Ambrose McClaren realistic? Because if you could please point me in the direction of a hot, kind, smart guy that was secretly in love with me during middle school that I could reconnect with I would be incredibly grateful. If Lara Jean did not deserve Peter, she absolutely did not deserve John Ambrose. He is just too good to be true. And too good for Lara Jean. Which makes it even harder to understand her decision to go back to Peter. Objectively, John Ambrose is a better fit for Lara Jean and all the movie does is highlight this. In any case, since she doesn’t want him, I’ll keep him. On a different note, piano scene was absolute perfection, but I feel like we’ve been robbed from the beauty of JA saying goodbye with: “I don’t think it was our time then. I guess it isn’t now, either. But one day maybe it will be.”

4. We usually look at great books and picture how a great movie could be made based on it, my experience with P.S. I Still Love You was the opposite. I don’t have enough knowledge to confidently state that these are good adaptations of the books since I haven’t had the chance to read them yet. Somehow though, this second movie’s pace and rhythm managed to translate into screen how pleasurable reading Jenny Han’s books must be. I could almost picture the words in my mind: a narration setting up the scenes and giving the reader that intimate look into Lara Jean’s thoughts. More than ever, I want to find the time to read the original books. 

5. Where was Kitty Covey? For being such a big plotline in the first movie, the relationship between the Covey sisters was simply not there for the second one. Why didn’t we get more of her? We all know Kitty is #TeamKavinsky and we didn’t even get a reaction to the breakup! Why?! Also, let’s be honest, John Ambrose never got the Kitty Seal of Approval and that was a sign all along that he had no future. 

6. Daddy Covey is the cutest and I was so happy to see him get his own romantic story arc. Both the new romance with the divorced neighbor and the story-time moment that gave us a look into his love story with Mama Covey were so delicately built. Plus, I’m in urgent need of a Fakesgving in a dorm room with homemade goods and a love story in my life. 

7. Chris & Trevor are two little weirdos that brought some much-needed romantic levity and curiosity to the movie. I want more of these adorable puppies together! 

These are my thoughts and observations about P.S. I Still Love Yes. Yes, they are absolutely personal, subjective and arguable. In fact, I hope you have a different opinion from mine and that you share it below! Tell me what you thought of the movie in the comments. 

Brazilian girl exploring college life. Studying Economics with a secondary in Psychology.
I am a senior at Harvard College studying Applied Mathematics with a specialization in Economics, and I am planning on getting a language citation in Spanish. I am currently a co-president and campus correspondent of Harvard's chapter of Her Campus! I am also a committee chair of a student organization that works with University Health Services called HealthPALs (Peer Advisors and Liaisons). Additionally, I am a member and co-director of service in OAASIS (Organization of Asian American Sisters in Service). Apart from that, I spend a lot of my time as a Learning Lab Undergraduate Fellow at the Harvard Derek Bok Center for Teaching and Learning. I am also the co-founder of a project at the Office of Diversity of Inclusion at Harvard. I am super passionate about math, health, and higher education! In my free time I love to work out, experiment with makeup and fashion, visit museums, and try new foods!