This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Harvard chapter.

If you’re like me, then you spent the majority of winter break binge-watching documentaries on Netflix, so you probably came across a few of the ones mentioning the complexities of recycling and the evils of plastic in general. However, your favorite beauty products or beauty must-haves all probably use plastic. This is why low-waste beauty products are a MUST for the new semester and for your new life as a consumer who cares :) Below are two low-waste beauty stores in the Boston/Cambridge area, as well as my recommendations on the must-have low waste products you can get at these stores. 

1. Cleenland – Central Square

“Cleenland is your one-stop-shop for low-waste, refillable personal and home care supplies.” 

This cute little store in Central has the most chill people working there. They’ll help you with anything you need and answer any questions you have with no judgment if you’re new to the low-waste lifestyle. Cleenland carries items like shampoo, conditioner, lotion, dish soap, laundry soap, etc, in bulk, so you can bring in any container you have (or buy one of the many at the store) and refill your container with the product. They also carry safety razors (an investment, but DEFINITELY worth it), natural loofahs, bamboo toothbrushes, and other products.

Cleenland is located at 89A Norfolk St, Cambridge, MA

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cleenland/ 

2. Cambridge Naturals – Porter Square and Boston

“We are committed to sourcing products locally, organically, and ethically via fair and direct trade channels, and donating a portion of our profits to social justice and environmental organizations.” 

Cambridge Naturals not only has a refill station for shampoo and conditioner but also has a wide array of natural products. This store is a little pricier than Cleenland but has a better selection of reusable containers with pumps and a wider array of products (although not all of them are low-waste.)

Cambridge Naturals has two locations. One location is in Porter Square at 23 White Street Cambridge, MA 02140 and another is in Boston at 92 Guest Street Boston, MA 02135

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cambridgenaturals/

Harvard Senior studying Romance Languages & Literatures and Art, Film, and Visual Studies with a secondary in Ethnicity, Migration, and Rights.
I am a senior at Harvard College studying Applied Mathematics with a specialization in Economics, and I am planning on getting a language citation in Spanish. I am currently a co-president and campus correspondent of Harvard's chapter of Her Campus! I am also a committee chair of a student organization that works with University Health Services called HealthPALs (Peer Advisors and Liaisons). Additionally, I am a member and co-director of service in OAASIS (Organization of Asian American Sisters in Service). Apart from that, I spend a lot of my time as a Learning Lab Undergraduate Fellow at the Harvard Derek Bok Center for Teaching and Learning. I am also the co-founder of a project at the Office of Diversity of Inclusion at Harvard. I am super passionate about math, health, and higher education! In my free time I love to work out, experiment with makeup and fashion, visit museums, and try new foods!