Ladies in Service, Part I

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Harvard chapter.

In lieu of Women’s Day, a day that was very in touch with the ideals of HerCampus, I thought it would be a great idea to talk to some girls on campus who dedicate a good chunk of time to community service. Today, we are going to meet one of those girls–her name is Madeline Dorroh. 

As a playing card:

Name: Madeline Dorroh

House: Leverett

Concentration: English with VES Secondary

Career Aspiration: TV/film development

Organization I volunteer for: Y2Y

Secret Talent: I play the violin!

Q&A portion

HC: Why did you decide to start volunteering? And why Y2Y in particular? (Wow, that was a tongue-twister)

MD: I did FUP just before I started freshman year and learned about some of the organizations that the PBHA runs, and Y2Y seemed like a great way to do some good while interacting with other students. I loved it and have been volunteering every semester since!What service means/why it’s important: For me, service just means finding a way to give back to the people and communities that have made a difference in my life. For Y2Y specifically, it keeps me connected to a community outside of Harvard and I think that’s really important.

HC: What is your favorite memory or experience from volunteering?

MD: Probably when I had to make a “sardine melt” for a guest with Amy Zhao. *insert winky face*

HC: What are your long term goals/plans for community service?

MD: Volunteering/service is something I hope to do for the rest of my life. It’s unique in that you can find volunteer work just about anywhere, so I hope to continue working for places just as cool as Y2Y even after graduation.

Amy Zhao

Harvard '18

.