How to “Galentines Day”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Harvard chapter.

What might you ask is Galentine’s day? To quote Leslie Knope’s from Parks and Recreation, “it’s only the best day of the year … Galentine’s is about celebrating lady friends.” With a definition like that how can we possibly say no to a day dedicated to celebrating with our favourite ladies?   

But, before you hit up your local target for supplies let’s go over the Galentine’s essentials to make sure everyone is prepared for this spectacular day. 

1. Round up the ladies 

First and foremost you need to round up the girls (or approved male best friends). If you’re all local then great! If not then plan a Skype date, just make sure they’re there! It’s also essential to know how many of your BFF’s will be attending so you buy the correct amount of supplies, or so you can make a proper reservation.

2. Ensure there are drinks 

What better time to indulge in your favourite wine then when in the company of your favourite friends? You can plan to hit the town and show off your beautiful group, or stay in and relax in your leggings, either way, make sure there is enough booze to go around! 

3. Soak up that alcohol with food

These two seem to go hand in hand, especially if you want to avoid the morning hangover. If you’ve decided to hit the town then make sure to pick a place that satisfies everyone, and make a reservation – no one likes standing in line when you’re wearing heels! If you’re staying in then consider a potluck, that way you’ll for sure have enough food to go around and you’re able to get a broader selection of those tasty treats! Just remember, no food leads to “hangry” friends and no one wants to deal with that! 

4. No relationship talk or “single” talk

If you’re lucky enough to be in a stable, healthy relationship, when this fabulous day roles around, do yourself a favour and keep it to yourself! There’s nothing worse then being single and having to listen to the joys of someone else’s relationship.

Similarly, if you’re single, make an honest effort to not talk about it. Galentine’s day is for celebrating, not for complaining about your relationship status.

If you choose to ignore this advice there is a good chance the rest of the group is going to be thinking this by the end of the night:

5. Have a blast

Most importantly remember that this day is for making memories, celebrating the awesome friendships you’ve created, and to let go and have a wild awesome time because you are fabulous!

Canadian born and raised aspiring lawyer living in Cambridge and studying at Harvard. I am a Netflix enthusiast and an avid reader who enjoys long naps, cupcakes (who doesn't), and puppies!
harvard contributor