How to Be a Modern Day Princess

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Harvard chapter.
When I was younger, I wanted to be a princess. 

On Halloweens I would wear this ball gown, midnight blue satin with ruffles, something Cinderella herself would wear to meet her Prince Charming. It was a hand-me-down prom dress made out of blue polyester and tailored to fit my 6-year-old frame, but in my eyes it was a dress fit only for royalty. 

I would wear it with my mother’s lace gloves, wedding gloves with pearl buttons that extended up to my elbows, and I’d daintily waive my magic wand (because we all know that princesses are magic, too). And I would go door to door for candy, humming princess songs, certain that no matter what happened in this life, I’d be living in a castle one day. 

Although nowadays the castle part might be a stretch, it’s not too late to become a modern day princess.

College women can learn a lot from the Disney princesses of our childhoods. From walking with poise to living with purpose, our sparkly role models can show us how to live gracefully and dazzle the people around us. 

1. Belle

Belle was known for her brains as much as her beauty. In a city that tried to put her down for being smart, she remained an ever voracious reader. She disregarded what people were saying about her and kept her wits about her, following her passion for learning and never settling for anything less. 

Belle was also able to look beyond superficiality and see beauty behind a face that was different from hers. She was accepting of the Beast despite his rough exterior, and her positive influence on him ultimately changed him for the better. 

2. Ariel
Ariel was naturally curious about the world around her. Intrigued by the unknown, she saw beauty in unconventional things and sought unique experiences that made her different from the rest. 

In addition, she was never afraid to just be herself. Her personality—spunky and fun, with a rebellious streak—shone through her actions and endeared her to the people around her. 

3. Jasmine
Jasmine was given everything in life, and could have easily had her pick of any suitor she wanted. Instead of settling down and becoming complacent, however, she cultivated a spirit of adventure. She wanted to follow her heart, explore the world, and make a name for herself. 

Ultimately, Jasmine did what she believed was right instead of what society told her to do. By going against the grain, she asserted her independence and affirmed her personal values. 

4. Snow White
Snow White was extraordinarily compassionate. She showed goodwill and generosity towards everyone she encountered, and was loved by everyone in the kingdom (except for the evil Queen…but hey, haters gonna hate!). 

In spite of her royal upbringing, Snow White was by no means spoiled. She was willing to work hard and take on a lot of responsibility. It takes a lot of leadership to be the head of a household of seven—but Snow White managed to do it with grace!

4. Cinderella

Although Cinderella was not dealt the best hand in life, she always remained optimistic about the future. Despite her unfortunate circumstances, she kept a positive outlook and a smile on her face. 

Cinderella’s inner beauty shone through when she treated others with kindness, even when she had nothing to gain. And whenever her stepfamily was cruel to her, she remained incredibly resilient in the face of adversity. 

5. Mulan

Mulan had the courage to fight for what she believed in—literally. A warrior as well as a princess, she stepped up to protect her family and her country in the midst of a war. She was a true feminist, never letting her gender stop her from achieving her goals. 

Not one to shy away from a challenge, Mulan always took initiative and tackled problems head on. She also had a knack for thinking on her feet, which helped her adapt to and stay on top of her constantly changing circumstances. 

Becoming a modern day princess means so much more than just donning a fancy crown and a glittery tiara. It means living in a way that brings out the best in yourself and in the people around you, treating others with generosity and respect, and believing passionately in yourself and your dreams.

Yehong Zhu '18 is a joint philosophy and government concentrator in Mather House. Her writing has been featured on Forbes, Slate, Thought Catalog, Business Insider, The Crimson, The Harvard Independent, and The Harvard Political Review. When she's not busy writing, she can be found downing chai tea lattes, exploring the quaint college town of Cambridge, Massachusetts, and philosophizing about life, love, and the universe. Say hi at yehongzhu@college.harvard.edu.
harvard contributor