andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Here’s To the Ladies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Harvard chapter.

At this point, we’ve all seen the pictures of the incredibly fun Cabo groups and watched the Snapchat stories of the insane parties taking place in clubs across the islands. Guys and girls with tanned shoulders and big smiles pose for pictures on pristine beaches and in towering resorts. And I’ll admit, I felt a few twinges of jealousy imagining the rage-y spring break that could have been.

But.

I would not have traded my girls-only relaxation vacation for all of the house music, sloppy make-outs, and tequila shots in the land. And I highly recommend that at least once in your college career, you take a vacation—or even just a weekend—to deepen your relationship with the ladies in your life.

Picture this:

Hours in the pool, tanning (i.e. burning to a crisp) under the warm sun learning about the fears, first kisses, and f***-ups of your best friends. Laughing at the mistakes and taking a few minutes to discuss what you think about race at Harvard, sexism in the world, and the challenges we’ve all faced coming to college on our own.

Giggling preparations of fresh pasta and delicious salads in a gorgeous kitchen, listening to One Direction and Hannah Montana as you pour glasses of wine and chow down on all the bread before even sitting at the table. Taking an extra scoop of ice cream, because hell, your friends aren’t going to care about your food belly poking out a tiny bit over your bikini bottoms and you want that sea salt caramel gelato.

Forgetting you even packed make-up in your bag, because there’s nobody to impress, only incredible women to get to know. Compliments not on your sexiness or hotness but on your thoughtfulness and fashion choices and constant assurances that yes, you look SOOO tan and no, you honestly can’t even tell you’re burnt!

Late-night conversations under the Miami moon about what your family is like and what you are most proud of and how you envision your future.

Cuddling up with your best friends under a gigantic blanket with blue face masks and slimy leave-in conditioner, laughing at the antics of Cameron Diaz and Kate Upton.

Finding women at Harvard that might not share your opinions or your ideas or your beliefs, but that absolutely possess your passion, your ambition, your insecurities, and the love you have for one another.

I know that you might think the FOMO you’ll experience could never outweigh the relationships you forge on a girls-only vacation, I’m telling you—you’re wrong. The women on the peripheries of your life that you may only see a couple of times at parties or tagged in Facebook pictures are more intellectual and compassionate and interesting and incredible than you could ever imagine. I urge you to take a chance and forgo the wild spring break or even the Saturday night out on Mt. Auburn and dedicate a few weeks, days, or hours to the women here at Harvard. I promise they’re worth it.

Here’s to the ladies. I love you all.

--
harvard contributor