HCH Body Week: Flat Bottomed Girls

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Harvard chapter.

Last year, a guy friend of mine told me that guys care more about a girl’s body than her face. I was shocked and felt wronged to learn that he, and presumably others, felt this way. I may be alone in this, but the first thing I notice or care about is a person’s face (deep, I know). Regardless, this news heightened my insecurity.

I am a small, asian girl with hardly any curves and no butt, and there’s really not much that I can do about it. My shape worked for me when I was in elementary school because I was basically the average size and somehow, I was under the illusion that small butts were better. Things completely changed in high school when every girl wore her bermuda pants (my school’s uniform) a size smaller to show off her butt (we had a lot of stairs at my school, so that was probably uncomfortable).

I have a small butt and it pisses me off that society makes me feel bad about it. (I should mention that I have been planning to do some squats for a whole year and still haven’t gotten to my first one yet). It is hard to believe, but there was a time when big butts weren’t everyone’s favorite things. Small butts were highly acceptable in the ‘20s, ‘60s, and ‘90s, and really any decade was more tame about butts than our current one. People have literally gained fame and fortune from having a big butt. So what am I supposed to do, huh? Make money in a more respectable way?

I am in no way campaigning for big butt shaming, but can we all just chill on butts in the first place? The whole fascination the world has with behinds is actually ridiculous if you think about it. That thing you’re ogling at has literally been pressed against a toilet seat. It’s as if someone thought: “Hey, women have different sized butts. Let’s use it against them.” I know I sound salty and insecure, but it gets lonely being the only one who appreciates your body. If we’re going to praise butts, let’s do it for their true function because without it we would all die.

People have always had a fascination with big boobs, but now small boobs are (kind of) in. Let’s do that with butts too, and every other body part. I know it’s a cliché thing to say, but people need to get over their dislike of small butts. There are other features of person’s body and of their personhood for that matter. Is it not crazy that butt implants exist and can actually make someone more famous? (Talking about you, Nicki)

Yeah, I have a small butt, and yeah, I wear leggings 5 days out of the week. I also wear cheeky bikini bottoms to the beach (because I’m from Hawaii and that’s what everyone does). Nothing about me is going to change (as I said, still haven’t done a squat), so maybe everyone should start appreciating small butts, too. Because all butts, and all other body parts for that matter, deserve equal loving.

Moriah is a freshman at Harvard College and lives in Wigglesworth Dorm. She is from Honolulu, Hawaii and is interested in fashion, history, and the dumplings.
harvard contributor