Harvard Undergraduate Women in Business: Business for Good Competition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Harvard chapter.

In light of the 7th Annual Intercollegiate Business Convention’s focus on innovation and challenging boundaries, Harvard Undergraduate Women in Business is pleased to announce the 3rd annual Business for Good Competition. Social enterprise is reshaping the nature of modern business, becoming increasingly important as new businesses incorporate social responsibility into their missions. The Business for Good Competition will reward impactful social enterprise ideas among college students. We seek to facilitate creativity, innovation, and collaboration among social entrepreneurs, increase the visibility of social entrepreneurship, and encourage college students to consider social entrepreneurship as they move into the working world.

Access the application here: http://ibc.huwib.org/business-for-good

Prizes

Prizes include a $1000 grant to the winner, a $500 grant to the runner-up, and various media opportunities.

Competition Structure

Starting September 1 and ending October 20, teams of students (up to five students, 50% female) will submit their social enterprise business plans on the Business for Good Website. Five teams will be selected based on potential impact, innovation, and overall submission quality to present their ideas at the competition’s Finale Event at IBC 2011 in front of our judge panel.

Last Year’s Highlights:

2010 Business for Good Winner, Lauren Braun, with Barbara Selmo, representative of competition sponsor, the FW Olin School of Business at Babson.
The winner of the 2010 Business for Good Competition, Lauren Braun, a senior at Cornell University, impressed judges with her innovative, research-based pitch for a medical information tracking bracelet to help mothers in Peru remember their infants’ vaccination dates. 

Harvard Undergraduate Women in Business

HUWIB is currently the largest undergraduate business organization on campus at Harvard, reaching over 300 members. The organization seeks to empower a dynamic group of enterprising young women by uniting them through business education and experience. Through panels, conferences, outreach initiatives, skill-building workshops, leadership projects, and mentorship programs, HUWIB seeks to expose undergraduate women to a variety of business careers.

Contact

Check out the Business for Good Website: http://ibc.huwib.org/business-for-good

Please contact Nancy Flewelling (nflewelling@college.harvard.edu), Chair of External Initiatives, or Tara Suri (tara.suri@college.harvard.edu), Director of Philanthropy, with additional questions.  

Madeleine Frank is a sophomore at Harvard University. She is from Arlington, Virginia, and studies English with a secondary in psychology. In addition to being Harvard's HC Campus Correspondent, Madeleine runs Make it Happen Magazine for Harvard University Women in Business and serves as editor for her chapter of Kappa Alpha Theta. In her free time she enjoys baking (especially vegan desserts) and dancing to everything from Frank Sinatra to Sean Paul. Madeleine hopes to pursue a career in magazine journalism in New York, and she spent last summer working as an Assistant Digital Producer at Washington Life Magazine in D.C.