This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Harvard chapter.

Recently, weird foot shaped tools have started to pop up in stores and online. But what are these things? Do they shave our legs? Open amazon packages? 

These tools are known as gua sha. Although they seem to have shown up recently, these tools have been around for centuries. Gua sha dates back to premodern medicine in regions of East Asia, mainly China. It involves scraping a flat jade or rose quartz stone over the skin in order to increase circulation and lymphatic flow. Gua sha is mainly performed on a person’s back, buttocks, neck, arms, and legs, and a gentler version is performed on the face. 

So, is this something we should be investing in? Apparently, dermatologists say that gua sha isn’t able to get under the surface layer of the skin in order to affect elastin production and reduce wrinkles. There have been studies showing impressive results, such as relieving muscle and joint pain, but they mainly focus on practices on the body, not the face. Another heads up is that this practice is not recommended for people with rosacea. With all that said, gua sha does have the benefit of increasing circulation in the face and aiding in the relief of tension. So, adding it to your routine is by no means a negative. 

If you want to try it, there are specific ways to use gua sha. Start by putting carotene oil on the face and then press the tool all over your neck and face, and over and under both eyes. Next, stroke all the way up to the forehead starting at the neck. Lastly, angle the tool at 45 degrees and use the rounded side to stroke in outwards directions at the cheeks and forehead; the double curved end is used on the throat and jaw. Even with these tips, however, it is important to be sure of what you are doing in order to get a result. Doing the process improperly could potentially lead to bruised or bursted capillaries, so if you don’t feel confident, letting an expert do it is always another option. 

At the end of the day, gua sha is just another way to add self care into your life. Whether you’re into holistic health, love to pamper yourself at the end of the day, or are just intrigued by its pretty pink rose quartz color, there seems to be no harm to adding this product to the list of things we do to make ourselves feel happier and healthier. 

Hi, I'm Savannah. I'm currently a Senior at UCRiveride studying Sociology. After graduation, I'm looking into doing Public Relations with a media and entertainment company. My favorite things to do are find the best shopping deals and go on road trips.
I am a senior at Harvard College studying Applied Mathematics with a specialization in Economics, and I am planning on getting a language citation in Spanish. I am currently a co-president and campus correspondent of Harvard's chapter of Her Campus! I am also a committee chair of a student organization that works with University Health Services called HealthPALs (Peer Advisors and Liaisons). Additionally, I am a member and co-director of service in OAASIS (Organization of Asian American Sisters in Service). Apart from that, I spend a lot of my time as a Learning Lab Undergraduate Fellow at the Harvard Derek Bok Center for Teaching and Learning. I am also the co-founder of a project at the Office of Diversity of Inclusion at Harvard. I am super passionate about math, health, and higher education! In my free time I love to work out, experiment with makeup and fashion, visit museums, and try new foods!