burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style

Four Fall Wardrobe Staples to Spice Up Your Going to Class Look

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Harvard chapter.

It’s finally fall, which means cute boots, sweaters, and all of your other cooler weather clothes that have been sitting at the back of a closet for the past few months. With the midterm season on the way, though, how are you supposed to find the time to actually put effort into an outfit? Enter these tried and true wardrobe staples, which I trot out when I need polish with next to no effort. 

1. A turtleneck

Hear me out. Yes, turtlenecks seem kind of boring. Yes, they’re often associated with the beatnik movement (not even necessarily a bad thing). But I have a lot of love in my heart for the turtleneck. Pair it with a simple pair of jeans, and you’ve instantly got a different, more sophisticated look on your hands. Something about that extra neck fabric just screams polished.

1. A beret

I think I’m creating a French theme here, but the beret is great for both form and function. On a practical level, it’s cold – what better way to keep warm than to throw on a stylish French hat? On the form side – given that the French are known for their Classique style, this hat really seems like the move. It just adds a certain je ne sais quoi to whatever you’re wearing. Toss it on with whatever else and suddenly there’s a French sophistication going on. Maybe you read philosophy in your spare time. Maybe you drink wine with lunch and dinner. It’s all part of the mystery of the beret.

1. Mules

Ah, the mule. This is the perfect shoe, and it is also the perfect fall shoe. Covering the front half of your foot but open in the back, mules are great for that weather that isn’t cold but leaves you wanting close-toed shoes as well. Also, the open back is the ideal amount of difference that draws attention to your outfit without looking too funky. 

1. A Good Denim Jacket

Why is this a wardrobe staple for fall, you may be asking. It is true that jean jackets possess a certain versatility that allows them to be worn during all seasons. However, I’d like to argue for the perfect combination of jeans, sweater, and a jean jacket. This updated Canadian tuxedo keeps you warm and also just looks cool. Throw that jacket on over your basic sweater and jeans and make a statement. It’s not just jeans and a sweater anymore. It’s denim on denim. 

Simone Huemer

Harvard '20

Simone is a senior at Harvard College studying Social Studies. In her free time she likes running, listening to an eclectic collection of music, and taking long walks around the city.
I am a senior at Harvard College studying Applied Mathematics with a specialization in Economics, and I am planning on getting a language citation in Spanish. I am currently a co-president and campus correspondent of Harvard's chapter of Her Campus! I am also a committee chair of a student organization that works with University Health Services called HealthPALs (Peer Advisors and Liaisons). Additionally, I am a member and co-director of service in OAASIS (Organization of Asian American Sisters in Service). Apart from that, I spend a lot of my time as a Learning Lab Undergraduate Fellow at the Harvard Derek Bok Center for Teaching and Learning. I am also the co-founder of a project at the Office of Diversity of Inclusion at Harvard. I am super passionate about math, health, and higher education! In my free time I love to work out, experiment with makeup and fashion, visit museums, and try new foods!