Easter Movies to Watch This Week!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Harvard chapter.

Easter is coming pretty soon.

Wait, Easter?

Yes, Easter.

Who really celebrates Easter past a certain age?

That’s a good question. Easter isn’t such a big holiday with the teens and the young adults that I know, but its presence on my agenda signifies a day to be celebrated. To be honest, I’m not exactly sure what Easter is all about. I know that it is a religious holiday and that not everyone will celebrate it, but with the new wave of warmer weather coming to Boston this upcoming week, we can use an Easter celebration to signify the beginning of true spring here in the Northeast and I am very okay with that idea. So whether you will be spending the day at church, having an egg hunt with your blockmates or just taking the time to relax, here’s a list of some Easter themed movies to incorporate into your festive day:

1. Hop (2011)

We all have had our moment when we defied our parent’s wishes, be it taking the car for a spin when we were not supposed to, giving up on a class when we could have done more or choosing to go to Harvard instead of Yale (okay that last one was a joke). In this recent animated film, we see a young bunny who decided to defy his father and run off to LA just like every teenager in America wishes they could do and are shown the consequences of his actions and what he does to fix it! Yay for a good moral storyline.

2. It’s the Easter Beagle, Charlie Brown! (1974)

We already started this list with an animated film, let’s keep it rolling with this Easter classic. Who didn’t grow up watching the Charlie Brown movies on every single holiday with a corresponding film? Catch this one on ABC, like every year, if you want the chance to relive your childhood in the cutest way.

3. Jesus Christ Superstar (1973)

If you’re looking for something pertaining more to the meaning of the actual holiday, you can check out this classic with a fun twist. Musicals are all the rage right now (cue Hamilton lovers) and this piece features some snazzy tunes that will surely make this movie with real actors a bit more festive.

4. Rise of the Guardians (2012)

Yes, 3/4 movies listed here are animated children’s movies. But who doesn’t want the excuse to watch a great animated film? Easter is a holiday that encompasses all things joyful and new, fresh and playful. Give yourself a break from the stresses of normal young adult, college life and learn how to enjoy life like a child does every so often. One of those ways is to watch a great movie with stellar animation. Don’t forget about these guys, they were my favorite part of the whole movie:

Vanessa is a sophomore at Harvard studying Human Developmental and Regnerative Biology with a secondary in Global Health and Health Policy. She is originally from South Texas and is very involved with the Latinx community at Harvard as well as Harvard's Science Club for Girls. When not in a lab or working as a tour guide, Vanessa likes to spend her free time in thrift stores or playing Pokemon Go shamelessly.