Style

Docs are Making a Comeback, and I’m Here for It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Harvard chapter.

I don’t know about you, but I bought my first pair of Dr. Martens boots when I was in 8th grade; they were the classic boots in shiny bright red patent leather, and I was OBSESSED with them. I wore them all the time in the first couple of years I had them. But as they started to become less popular, I started wearing them less and less until my senior year when I decided to finally part with them. 

Pictured here is 9th grade me, sporting my Docs on a slightly snowy November day in 2014:

As I started my first year at Harvard in the fall of 2018, I noticed a few people wearing Docs here and there, but not the bright colored patent leather like the ones I originally had. They were replaced by more of the matte, muted tones: black, burgundy, brown, and the like. 

I was digging this “new era” of Doc Martens, and apparently so were a lot of other people. Consequently, I decided to get a new pair this fall. This time, I went with the Luana Leather Combat Boot in Cherry Red, a much more chill, laidback version of the ones I used to have. Those boots were me in middle school/high school, but these new boots are definitely me in college. They represent the evolution of my style and how times have changed.

Here is me wearing my new Docs before Boston went from fall to winter in 0.2 seconds:

Docs are back and better than ever. But I’m not the only one who’s hopped back on the train. Here a few people you may know who are also fans of these classic boots:

Gigi Hadid:

Gwen Stefani:

Emma Watson:

David and Brooklyn Beckham:

What more can I say? Join the wave.

Kaelin Ray

Harvard '22

I'm a junior at Harvard studying Neuroscience with a secondary in Spanish (also pre-med!) from the suburbs of Detroit, Michigan. Here on campus, I'm a captain of the women's club volleyball team, events chair for the Generational African American Students Association (GAASA), and a mentor with the Science Club for Girls. I'm really passionate about working with kids and helping people through medicine; hopefully I'll be able to combine the two someday. Outside of all of that, some of my hobbies are DIY fashion, thrift shopping, photography, and (sometimes) running. Follow me on insta! @kaelin.ray
I am a senior at Harvard College studying Applied Mathematics with a specialization in Economics, and I am planning on getting a language citation in Spanish. I am currently a co-president and campus correspondent of Harvard's chapter of Her Campus! I am also a committee chair of a student organization that works with University Health Services called HealthPALs (Peer Advisors and Liaisons). Additionally, I am a member and co-director of service in OAASIS (Organization of Asian American Sisters in Service). Apart from that, I spend a lot of my time as a Learning Lab Undergraduate Fellow at the Harvard Derek Bok Center for Teaching and Learning. I am also the co-founder of a project at the Office of Diversity of Inclusion at Harvard. I am super passionate about math, health, and higher education! In my free time I love to work out, experiment with makeup and fashion, visit museums, and try new foods!