Style > Beauty

Cult-Favorite Korean Skincare Products For Beginners

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Harvard chapter.

From putting snail mucus on one’s face to testing the Korean 10-step skincare routine, the internet and the US market have recently gone crazy for Korean skincare. Having just spent a summer studying abroad in Seoul, I allocated a fair share of my time to browsing beauty stores and trying out cult-favorite brands such as Skinfood, Innisfree, Etude House, Saturday Skin, AmorePacific, Cosrx, and more. With strange words such as “ampoule” and “essence” etched across the sides of products, the Korean skincare market can be incredibly overwhelming for first-time buyers. Here are the top Korean skincare products for beginners to start your collection and get you hooked.

1. Klairs Supple Preparation Facial Toner, $16

People live and breathe by this toner. Meant for all skin types, this soothing facial toner leaves skin feeling plump and hydrated. While most toners are too harsh or drying, Klairs’ version hydrates skin while also balancing the skin’s pH levels and leading to a more even skin tone. This minimalistic toner has a cult-following and can be found again and again in people’s skincare favorites lists.

1. Cosrx Advanced Snail 96 Mucin Power Essence, $23

While the title may seem more confusing to you than reading Middle English, this serum is simple in its lasting effects. Infused with snail mucus (yes, you heard that right), this essence moisturizes skin, fights acne, and calms and replenishes skin. It is a great option for those struggling with acne scars or hyperpigmentation as well, as the snail essence overall works to repair the skin’s barrier and leads to a more even skin tone. 

1. Yuja Water C Whitening Ampoule In Serum 2X

This product built up such hype around its launch that it has been consistently out of stock online and in-stores everywhere. Infused with Goheung yuja extract to brighten dull, tired skin and fade dark spots and scars, this serum packs a powerful punch. Meant for all skin types, this serum works to hydrate and replenish skin, leaving it glowy and dewy all day long. Plus, it smells amazing!

Sienna Santer

Harvard '22

Sienna Santer is a 20-year-old college and lifestyle YouTuber originally from California currently living in Hawaii. A sophomore at Harvard University studying Women, Gender, and Sexuality Studies and Psychology, she loves to post videos with her friends, vlogging her daily life and inspiring her subscribers to go out and chase their dreams. An avid believer in pursuing your passion and rejecting the status quo, she wants to serve as a role model for young women and equip them with the tools to find their purpose in life. She plans to run her own company one day, and constantly is inspired by other #girlboss entrepreneurs. When she’s not studying for her next psychology exam, you can find Sienna paging through novels in local coffee shops, sweating it out in a hot yoga class, whipping up some vegan food, or jetsetting on weekend adventures with her friends. She is an avid K-pop fan, an absolute skincare fanatic, and a little bit of an adrenaline junkie. If you want a little peek into her life, you can follow her on instagram @siennasanter.
I am a senior at Harvard College studying Applied Mathematics with a specialization in Economics, and I am planning on getting a language citation in Spanish. I am currently a co-president and campus correspondent of Harvard's chapter of Her Campus! I am also a committee chair of a student organization that works with University Health Services called HealthPALs (Peer Advisors and Liaisons). Additionally, I am a member and co-director of service in OAASIS (Organization of Asian American Sisters in Service). Apart from that, I spend a lot of my time as a Learning Lab Undergraduate Fellow at the Harvard Derek Bok Center for Teaching and Learning. I am also the co-founder of a project at the Office of Diversity of Inclusion at Harvard. I am super passionate about math, health, and higher education! In my free time I love to work out, experiment with makeup and fashion, visit museums, and try new foods!