Count Your Blessings: Why Jessie J is an Awesome Yardfest Artist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Harvard chapter.

Before sophomore year began I promised myself I would take on a fun extracurricular. Just something small to break up the monotony of my pre-professional organizations. And so I found myself back at the activities fair on a bright afternoon in September, pushing through student groups, occasionally stopping to scribble my email down. Over the weeks, emails rolled in delineating the various comp processes, and eventually I made my decision–The College Events Board was the answer.

I probably enjoyed my first Yardfest a little too much. But Yardfest 2014 is what exposed me to The College Events Board and made me realize that I wanted to be a part of planning the biggest event for undergraduates. I had a clear vision of how I would alter and improve the event. When co-chair applications were sent out, there was no hesitation. Although I was shocked when I received the position, I had goals to accomplish. Luckily, my co-chair, Kevin Xiong, had similar aspiration, and so I foolishly thought everything would just fall into place. I was nowhere near prepared for the obstacles that came with planning an event for the entire undergraduate population.

Tuesdays and Thursdays at 9 a.m. starting in November were spent in meetings discussing different artists with the selection committee. The concerns of various student organizations were heard, surveys were sent, and compromises were made. Hours were put in by CEB, the administration and our music industry experts to finally come to the conclusion that Jessie J was the best artist choice for Yardfest 2015.

When I hear people complaining about Jessie J, I’ll admit feel personally attacked. She’s a phenomenal artist. Maybe I’m biased. Actually, I’m 100% biased, but that’s not the point. Before you complain about the artist selection, take a moment to think about the dedication that goes into planning huge (**free**) events, and count your blessings. And if that doesn’t change your mind, here are five additioanl reasons that should convince you that Jessie J is a great Yardfest artist.

1. Name recognition. I don’t believe people when they tell me they’ve never heard of Jessie J. I can assure you that at one point in your life you’ve heard “Bang Bang”, “Price Tag” or “Domino”. “Bang Bang” debuted as #1 on UK charts and has held a top ten spot in record charts in the US, Canada, New Zealand & Australia. Did I mention she sang at the London 2012 Olympic Closing Ceremony?

2. She’s British. She’s reppin’ the UK. And her accent is totally adorable.

3. Versatility. From ballads to catchy pop to dance party bangers, Jessie J has it all. Check out “Do It Like a Dude”, “Masterpiece” and “Who You Are”.

4. Underappreciated Songwriter. Do you remember that song that basically became the second National Anthem for the USA ? “Party in the USA” by Miley Cyrus? Yeah… Jessie J helped write that. So the next time you’re nodding your head like yeahhhh, you can thank Jessie. Here, Jessie J talks about how Party in the USA paid her bills for three years!

5. She can do this. Just watch it. It’ll change your life.

Mimi Coleman is a sophomore concentrating in Economics and lives in Winthrop House. She is a member of CEB, Eleganza and now HerCampus. Mimi loves finding new recipes on Pinterest, knitting, and hanging out with friends.
harvard contributor