10 Shows Not To Binge This Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Harvard chapter.

It is hard to find the perfect show to binge. It needs to be engaging, without being too much to take on. If it has too many episodes, you might just spend the rest of the semester watching it. If it is too addicting, it might get in the way of school work, social time, and having anything resembling a normal sleeping pattern. I know from experience just how hard it is being addicted to a quality series, especially one with the promise of more seasons to come. So I am passing on my top 10 shows that are too good to start this school year.

Rick and Morty

Premise:

“A sociopathic scientist who drags his unintelligent grandson on insanely dangerous adventures across the universe.”

26 episodes so far

22 minutes per episode

572 minutes total

Available on Hulu

Shameless

Premise:

“Meet the fabulously dysfunctional Gallagher family: Dad’s a drunk, Mom split long ago, and eldest daughter Fiona tries to hold the family together.”

84 episodes so far

53 minutes per episode

4452 minutes total

Available on Netflix

Blackish

Premise:

“Andre ‘Dre’ Johnson has a great job, a beautiful wife, Rainbow, four kids, and a colonial home in the ‘burbs. But has his success brought too much assimilation for this black family?”

72 episodes so far

22 minutes per episode

1584 minutes total

Available on Hulu

Dear White People

Premise:

“A campus culture war between blacks and whites at a predominantly white school comes to a head when the staff of a humor magazine stages an offensive Halloween party.”

10 episodes so far

26 minutes per episode

210 minutes total

Available on Netflix

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend

Premise:

“Successful and driven, Rebecca Bunch seemingly has it all — an upscale apartment in Manhattan and a partnership at a prestigious law firm — but she feels like something is missing. After a chance meeting with a former romantic interest, Rebecca impulsively decides to give up her life in New York and relocate to West Covina, Calif., a Los Angeles suburb she hopes will be the perfect home base as she embarks on a quest for love, adventure and true happiness.”

31 episodes so far

41 minutes per episode

1271 minutes total

Available on Netflix

Empire

Premise:

“A sexy and powerful new drama about the head of a music empire whose three sons and wife all battle for his throne.”

48 episodes so far

43 minutes per episode

2064 minutes total

Available on Hulu

The Handmaid’s Tale

Premise:

“A woman forced into sexual servitude struggles to survive in a terrifying, totalitarian society.”

10 episodes so far

50 minutes per episode

500 minutes total

Available on Hulu

Orange is the New Black

Premise:

“Piper Chapman is a public relations executive with a career and a fiance when her past suddenly catches up to her. In her mid-30s she is sentenced to spend time in a minimum-security women’s prison in Connecticut for her association with a drug runner 10 years earlier.”

65 episodes so far

57 minutes per episode

3705 minutes total

Available on Netflix

Designated Survivor

Premise:

“A lower-level cabinet member unexpectedly becomes president after a devastating attack on Washington. He will struggle to prevent the country and his own family from falling into chaos, as he is thrust into one of the most difficult presidencies in history.”

21 episodes so far

43 minutes per episode

903 minutes total

Available on Hulu

Broad City

Premise:

“A bottle of wine tastes just as good when you pay with all pennies. That’s a fact. And no matter what the city throws at twenty-somethings Abbi and Ilana, these broads are all in.”

30 episodes so far

21 minutes per episode

630 minutes total

Available on Hulu

Audrey Thorne

Harvard '19

Audrey is a Senior in Pforzheimer house. She likes writing, adventure, Tatte, and doing things ironically it's no longer ironic. She's also Co-Campus Coordinator of the Her Campus Harvard branch.
harvard contributor