Summer Renovations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hartford chapter.

(Image of the new University Commons from UNotes)

Welcome back, returning Hawks, and for the freshmen, welcome to campus!

Like every summer, the facilities department has been hard at work while we were all home on break.

The biggest changes students will notice are the newly renovated University Commons dining hall – and downstairs, the Hawk’s Nest has gotten a makeover as well.

The Bookstore recieved both a new name and a facelift – the Campus Store is now one level, features a more modern design, and is much more energy efficient. The Department of Architechture has moved into what was the lower level of the Campus Store and brings the graduate architechture program on campus. The Bates House, where the Office of Admissions is located, has been modernized as well, along with much of Hillyer Hall.

The two red barns near the Hartford Art School have been removed, and the undergraduate studio space hosted in “the Garret” will be moved into one of the other HAS buildings.

Finally, both the Sports Center and Mortenson Library recieved new roofs.

May all beings be happy and free and may my life in some way contribute to that happiness. I'm a New Hampshire native, and a journalism major at the University of Hartford in West Hartford, Connecticut. I write books sometimes. When I grow up, I want to be a reporter.