How to prepare for the upcoming blizzard

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hartford chapter.

First of all, it’s important to know that there are no classes after 3 p.m. today (Monday, 26 January) and all day Tuesday, 27 January. That being said, don’t try to go out anywhere, because Governor Malloy has also issued a travel ban for the entire state of Connecticut beginning at 9 p.m. tonight. There’s also been a travel ban in Massachusetts beginning at midnight, so needless to say, you’re not going anywhere.

The worst of the snow is expected Monday night into Tuesday morning. Many places will recieve up to 2 feet of snow, along with wind gusts 75 mph or more. New York City is expecting up to 3 feet. Many places say travel on Tuesday will be impossible, as thousands of flights have been cancelled, subways may be closed, and roads will likely be impassible. Both Massachusetts and New Jersey have declared a State of Emergency, effective immediately.

Residential students should have an emergency kit – contact lenses & solution or glasses, toothbrush & toothpaste, a change of clothes, a blanket and pillow, and other emergency supplies, since if the upperclassman dorms (The Village, Park River and Regents Park) lose power, students will need to be evacuated within 90 minutes, as those buildings do not have backup power, and the batteries in the smoke detectors and emergency lights only last 90 minutes. Commuter students and faculty are not allowed on campus when the University is closed.

For more information, the University’s snow plan can be found online at www.hartford.edu/snow/ .

Stay safe, Hartford. We’ll update you as we have more information.

May all beings be happy and free and may my life in some way contribute to that happiness. I'm a New Hampshire native, and a journalism major at the University of Hartford in West Hartford, Connecticut. I write books sometimes. When I grow up, I want to be a reporter.