Campus Celebrity: Bo-Edward Lawrence ’16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hartford chapter.

1. How long have you been doing spoken word?

I’ve been doing spoken word for as long as I can remember. I like to view poetry not just as an art, but a language. Not everyone can fully grasp the depth of some spoken word pieces, but it’s a language that can be felt, even if you understood it partially. It is music to the soul, you don’t have to understand the language, but the feeling makes you understand all you need to know.

2. What made you get into spoken word?

What made me get into spoken word are issues in the society that I see on a daily basis and people around me. I see things that I would love to change or make an impact on, so I began to write about it. I personally believe that I see things differently. The reason why many people don’t change their ways or continue on certain paths is because they see no other options. I’m here to write, and speak, and show people another way to whatever their problems may be. I hope that whenever someone gets depressed, confused, in love, or anything of that nature, that they can look to my work for motivation or even advice.

3. What gives you the inspiration to continue with spoken word?

What gives me inspiration are the people. I can’t describe the beauty you feel when you step on stage, recite a spoken word poem, and step off stage and watch how inspired people are. It reminds me of when I performed at the Wadsworth Atheneum; after stepping off stage many people shook my hand, showing me lots of love for my work. But there was one man, appearing to be in his late 20s, that shook my hand that was different than everyone else. He looked me in the eye as he shook my hand and said “Because of you, I will see another day.” At that point, I realized how much of an impact I created on some people’s lives. I do it for that one person in the crowd that might need to hear what I have to say. If I save at least one person, or help at least one person, I feel like I helped millions.

4. How can someone book you?

To find my work is easy. I have my own channel on YouTube, and website that can be found by typing my whole name (Bo-Edward Lawrence) in Google and/or the YouTube search bar. Along with that, I have a hashtag on Instagram (#BoJustInspiredMe) that makes it very accessible for people to share and read my work and keep track of my most recent posts. To have me perform, you can contact me by email (BLawrence@Hartford.edu).

5. Where do you see yourself in five years?

In 5 years, I see myself traveling, and putting my foot in the door to my career. I see myself being highly noticed by my own community, as well as many other communities. I just hope that people can see my good intentions in what I do and admire not me, but the people that I help with the gift I was given.

6. What is your dream job?

My dream job is to be a motivational speaker. I always dreamed even when I was young to help others in some shape or form. I later learned that my voice is the most powerful thing I have, and I will never give that up. Along with speaking, I want to write several books and explore deeply in the musical field. I have a very free soul, I want to experience as much as I can and learn as much as I can before it’s my time. I’m not someone that is into chasing money, I just want to be wealthy enough to take care of my parents and give to those who need it. Because the most important thing is not money, but the memories and experiences you have. That is what makes life so beautiful.

Hello :). My name is Desirée. I am currently a junior in college. I want to own my own wedding planning business when I am established. I love to express myself and be social. Kindness is crucial, you never know what someone else is going through. Proverbs 27:17- "As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another."