Spencer Sholty

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hanover chapter.

Name: Spencer Sholty
Hometown: Indianapolis, Indiana
Year: Junior
Major: Art History and Studio Art

Why did you choose to attend Hanover?
I chose Hanover because I thought a Liberal Arts degree would be a good background for me to have.

What did you select Art History and Studio Art as your majors?
I decided to double major in Art History and Studio Art because I have always loved art, and Art History, and I decided I couldn’t pick just one. 

What are your intentions with Art History and Studio Art as majors?
If I get into graduate school program I will be doing that. If not grad school, then I’ll be finding a job in a related field to what I’d like to study. Then I will try to reapply with the added real-life experience. 

What are your plans following graduation?
Obviously, my idea job is something I’d like to strive for in real life. I’d like to be able to find something in a creative field that both paid well and was intellectually stimulating. 

What clubs are you involved in on campus?
I am on the Kenning’s Literary Magazine Editorial board. I got involved with that Sophomore year. I love reading the submissions from the writers on campus. I also design costumes for the theater department. I started doing that freshman year. 

Who is your favorite author/band? What is your favorite book and movie?
I have very eclectic tastes in music, books, and movies. There are genres that I categorically don’t like, but you’ll see things like The Black Eyed Peas’ “My Humps” sitting next to an aria from the opera La Bohème or the film adaptation of “Pride and Prejudice” next to “Transformers” on my DVD shelf. As far as books go, I love the classics by such authors as Jane Austen and Shakespeare, and of course Harry Potter.

Why are you going to Paris for the month of May?
I’m going to Paris for an Art History class trip. 

What is your favorite thing about Spring Term?
My favorite thing about spring term is that I have time to do things that I want to do, not only things that I have to do.

What advice do you have for those who are staying on campus for Spring Term?
My advice for people staying on campus during spring term is to allow yourself to take time to do things that you want to do, when you’re homework is done of course. The rest of the year we’re so busy, we all deserve some time to relax.

What are you looking forward to about your senior year of college?
I’m actually looking forward to doing my senior IS projects. For both Art History and Studio Art we put on shows in the gallery in the CFA.

What is one last thing you want to do on campus before graduating next year?
I’d like to do something really memorable, but I can’t think of what that might be at the moment. You’ll just have to ask me this time next year what I did!

What is your best memory of college thus far?
My best memory of college thus far has to be the snow days we had last year. My friends and I took a big walk around campus and had tons of fun.

Carrie Gavit is a freshman English and Spanish double major at Hanover College in Indiana. In addition to writing for Her Campus, Carrie writes for The Triangle, Hanover's newspaper, and creates a bi-monthly newsletter for Hanover's Career Center. This summer she hopes to have two internships in the field of journalism in Indianapolis. After completing college, she plans on moving to a city and working in the field of journalism. When Carrie is not drinking black coffee, running or dancing around in her dorm room, she dreams about living in Spain and writing for Bon Appetit magazine. Being a vegetarian and lactose-intolerant, Carrie believes she can offer a new and unique perspective to the world of food journalism.