mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

You Got McDonald’s Money?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Honestly, I’m not sure if my parents are trying to be funny when they ask if I have any McDonald’s money or if they are genuinely looking to me for the money. I know for a fact I do not have it and I just want a McFlurry. If you grew up in a Black household, you probably heard that question and the following sayings, which will leave you wondering if it is the child or the parent that has the smart mouth.

1. “What happens in this house stays in this house!”

When you hear this you know that means whatever was said or done should never leave the threshold. This saying is commonly used in Black households to keep all of the secrets in the house. Mama would hate it if all of the cousins knew that all her kids kept getting in trouble. Put that smile on your face and head to the cookout, and be sure not to say anything that just happened in the house. 

2.  “I’m not one of your little friends.”

If your mama says this just know you were probably taking the conversation a little too far. You either were joking a little too much or just got disrespectful. She has to remind you that she is not the one to be played with. Honestly, sometimes you have to ask yourself would she even be one of your little friends since she is so snappy. It’s all out of love though just make sure you are not taking the jokes too far because she is not one of your little friends and will whoop you.

3. “When we get in this store don’t touch nothing, don’t look at nothing, and DON’T ask for nothing!” 

I know all you wanted to do was show mom all the snacks that would be good in the house and all of the cute clothes and gadgets you think would look great in your purse but I think it’s best we leave those alone. No need to do the store walk of shame emptying your own shopping cart of items back on the shelf after she says no. Maybe if you clean the house 20x a day per week before grocery day she may let you pick out a snack but then again you not supposed to get praised for doing things you are supposed to do.

4. “I don’t care what ____ did, that’s not my child!” 

If you grew up in a black household and ever got in trouble or brought in a bad grade I’m pretty sure you have heard this phrase before. Your parents love to hear what your friends accomplish and the good you all do together until you come in with something bad and use them as an excuse as to why. Although you hate to hear this phrase (because of the belief that if your peers can do it, there’s no reason why you can’t) this eventually teaches you that what they do does not affect you. 

5. “You are not going to be running in and out of my house it’s either in or out. Pick one.”

When playing outside it does not matter if it is 100 degrees outside or 45 degrees you will not be running in and out the house for nothing. It is either in or out and that is law! Not sure if it was letting the air conditioning out, hearing the “front door open” alarm, or just a needed break from the kids that makes this phrase come out. However, I now have some understanding because I feel a similar annoyance when someone opens my dorm door and keeps coming in and out. 

I’m pretty sure when I have my kids I will use every “growing up phrase” in the book and honestly I’m kind of excited to do so. So the next time you ask your parents to stop at McDonalds and they ask if you have any McDonald’s money just know you may be doing the same exact thing when raising your child. 

Deja Dodson

Hampton U '23

Member of Her Campus Hampton U Chapter. I am a freshman Psychology major currently studying at the illustrious Hampton University. Subscribe to my youtube channel: Deja D, and check out my personal self love and motivational blog on Instagram: @Dejadailydose.
I have the privilege to serve as Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Hampton U Chapter a second year! I am a graduating Senior, Strategic Communications major, Marketing minor currently studying at the illustrious Hampton University. I am from Richmond, VA (shoutout to the 804!). In addition to classes, I run my own creative agency, Tiana Nichelle Marketing where I specialize in social media management, content creation, public relations, and branding. My love for the PR and Communications industry is the reason my ultimate goal is to become a celebrity publicist in the upcoming years! Her Campus Hampton U is an organization that is near and dear to me and I am so happy to be a leader of this ELITE chapter!