Writer, producer, and engineer: Zay Blaze

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Writer, producer, and engineer Xavier Bushby, is a sophomore music engineering technology major from Atlanta, Georgia. Better known as his stage name “Zay Blaze,” he not only writes his own music, but produces it as well. Having the great opportunity to have his own online radio show for WLVS radio in the summer has opened many doors for the up and coming artist. Along with that, his music has been played on the radio station 95.5 in the Maryland and DC area. I had the pleasure to sit down and learn more about his background and upcoming productions.

HC: What do you feel differentiates you from other artists?

ZB: More versatility, even though there are many other artists that do what I do I still feel as if I bring a different aspect in both my singing and rapping. I would also have to say my content, what I talk about in my songs, its completely different from what other people talk about. Sometimes I feel like I’m two different people on one track.

HC: Who is your favorite artist and what influence have they had on your music?

ZB: As far as singing, my favorite artist would have to be Frank Ocean. As far as influence I would have to say PARTYNEXTDOOR. Due to the fact that he also produces has had an influence on me when I make beats. On the other hand, with rapping that’s hard because I listen to so many different artists. My first influential rappers would have to be Drake, because he was the one who actually got me into rapping. I was like oh you can rap and have feelings? Oh that’s lit. My most influential would have to be Joey badass he kind of helped me find my own lane, if that makes sense. He influenced me to play around with different beats and my flow and what I say, like spicing things up.

HC: At what age did you first write and produce your own music?

ZB: I started singing and writing in the fifth grade, rapping in the eighth grade, producing my own music in the 10th and engineering my own music senior year of high school.

HC: What has been your toughest challenge with being an artist and full time student?

ZB: I would have to say have to say the monetary aspect. You know how college sucks up every penny that you have and being that I don’t really have that much promotion can be difficult. The only means of promotion that I have is like “annoying” people on Twitter, which is really annoying. Hashtag sorry to all my annoyed followers out there. Another thing would have to be time management. Its really hard juggling school and my music considering my schedule changes from semester to semester and I have to adjust to it.

HC: Where would we be able to listen to your music?

ZB: http://soundcloud.com/ZayBlaze

Lauren Hendricks is a Junior, Journalism major at Hampton University. When she's not busy studying, serving as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Hampton U or staying involved on Hampton's campus, she can be found at a local Starbucks, mall or on her yoga mat. Lauren is enthusiastic about community service and telling stories. Check here for blog posts and updates.