Winter Fashion Do’s and Don’ts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

We all know that when fall and winter introduces the colder weather the real Fashionista’s present themselves with the dopest and flyest looks of the season. However, some people seem to not know how to keep summer fashion in the summer— there are ways to transition from warm weather to cool weather. Also, for the people that think they have the cool weather fashion down pact, there are some rules. Yes, what makes fashion fun is breaking rules and saying there aren’t any rules, but they’re just some things that have got to stop before it gets any colder.  

DON’T

Ladies, give up the transparent clear booties, please. We are now in December— we’ve seen enough of them during Homecoming Season and the summer, and honestly if your friends don’t tell you, your sweat shows through the shoes. Hide these in your closet until springtime, because they are absolutely not a Winter shoe. These are a Don’t.

DO

A black pair of thigh-high heeled boots NEVER goes out of style. These boots are classy and go with anything in your closet on a cold winter day. You can wear them with jeans, leggings, a skirt, a dress, etc. Once you throw on some nice layers and outerwear looks you’ll be good to go! This is how you slay a Winter shoe. These are a Do. You can find them here. P.S. Please be able to walk in them!

DON’T

Faux fur is a Winter necessity— it is a timeless classic and it can have you feeling fabulous with the most basic outfit on. Faux fur can literally take an outfit from boring, to wow. However, it must be done right. Understand that this is a don’t— do not find the most shaggy faux fur and think that you’re automatically going to be serving looks. No. This looks cheap, and honestly instead of taking your outfit from boring to wow, this will take your outfit to, “What does she have on?” So, save yourself, and don’t do this.

DO

Faux fur stoles that are appealing to the eye and don’t look shaggy, and that actually feel good are DO’S! You absolutely need one or two in your life. Stoles can go over a long sleeve shirt on a say when it’s not too chilly, and they can go over your coat for an added pizzazz. Definitely invest in a stole for this winter. You can find one here.

DON’T

Bombers are so cute, however you will get sick. Buy a coat. Bombers are lightweight jackets that can keep you warm in the fall when the temperature first starts to drop, however when the temperature really drops a bomber will do nothing for you but help you get pneumonia. So, please, don’t wear this in the winter trying to be cute because you really end up looking cold.

DO

A nice wool coat for Winter will do. Yes, sometimes they can be expensive, but a good coat is a good investment and a lot of times you can have it for a lot of years. There are so many fashionable coats that can allow you to serve looks all winter, so invest in one and keep your health up to par as the weather starts to plummet. You can find one here.

DON’T             

The Spring and Summer lippies are just that, for Spring and Summer. They’re so cute, but honestly most of the time when you pop some extra color into a Winter wardrobe it’s accessories like a bag, or fur, or necklace, never the lip color. So, don’t be upset, just lay the light and bright colors away for a few months.

DO

Dark reds, plums, purples, etc. are in for Winter! The dark hues really add depth to the layered Winter outfits. Be sure to have some dark lippies in your purse this Winter because a lip color can really make or break a look! You can find this set here.

So, ladies don’t think you have to sacrifice your style to be fashionable this Winter, you don’t! But, there are certain things you just don’t do, and I hope this guide helps!

Asia Milia Ware is a junior Strategic Communication major at Hampton University. Hailing from the concrete jungle, New York City, she is a lover of fashion, and a journalist; your future fashion editor and editor-in-chief of a #1 women's lifestyle magazine. As Hampton University's ESSENCE College Ambassador, a blogger for Style by D'NiCole and a style guru for CollegeFashionista, Asia is a Fashionista that is always on the go. Writing is her specialty, in addition to fashion and styling.