Why We Stan Ellen Pompeo Calling out Caucasian Hollywood

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

If you are not familiar with the name Ellen Pompeo, she is one of the main characters of the ABC television series, Grey’s Anatomy where she plays the head of general surgery, Meredith Grey.

In the show, Pompeo plays a very, unproblematic Caucasian woman and as of her recent sit-down interview with NET-A-PORTER, we have confirmed she is indeed, an unproblematic, outspoken queen.

Along with actresses, Gina Rodriguez (Jane the Virgin), Emma Roberts (American Horror Story), and Gabrielle Union (Being Mary Jane), Pompeo did an interview with Net-A-Porter where they discussed the topic no person in Hollywood talks about. Homogeneity in the Hollywood workplace. The women all voiced their opinions on unequal pay within races, underpay of actors, the difference of pay in actors and head of companies when they are the face of these shows, and more.

Some of the points brought up by these leading lady’s in tv series were:

Gina Rodriguez on the unequal pay within races,

“It is a very scary space to step into cause I always feel like I fail when I speak about it, because I can’t help to feel already so gracious to do what I do, and I feel like culturally I was raised to feel so appreciative of getting here.”

Gabrielle Union on how the people at the top of the company behind the show are the ones getting paid,

“If it’s a win, it is not gonna be because of me, and if it’s a failure, my face is gonna be on it, it’s gonna be because of me. So, you need to pay me, either way, this goes- just like everybody else.”

Emma Roberts on getting paid less than a co-star,

“ I’ve taken less money knowing I’m taking less money than a male co-star because they are telling me this is as much money as we’re gonna give you. Your co-star is getting more. If you don’t take this deal, another girl will take it. I’ve taken it because I feel so passionate like I wanna do this project, and you’re basically telling me if I don’t take this deal, there are five other girls who will take it in a heartbeat.”

What I think spoke to everyone who has seen this interview is the presence and dialogue that came from Ellen Pompeo. Pompeo called out all Caucasians in the industry to speak up about Homogeneity.

“This day has been incredible, and there’s a ton of women in the room. But I don’t see enough color,” she started. “And I didn’t see enough color when I walked in the room today.”

“I had a meeting with a director of another endorsement project that I’m doing,” Pompeo continued. I said, ‘When I show up on set, I would like to see the crew look like the world that I walk around in every day.’ And I think it’s up to all productions to make sure that your crew looks like the world we see.”

With situations like this one, you know it is a serious matter when a person other than someone who is a minority speaks out on it. But, when it is so much of a problem that a caucasian woman has to speak up about it is when you know it’s a problem. Gabrielle Union was us when we heard this.

Pompeo speaking up about this is not important because a white girl said it. It is important because now that she has said it she has awakened Hollywood and all the other Caucasians in the industry who are not speaking up about it because it doesn’t affect them.

Using the huge platform she has to speak on the topic of inequality in racial pay that is often times swept under the rug, is huge and important. This is why we stan Ellen Pompeo. If you don’t watch her show on ABC, Grey’s Anatomy, I suggest you should and support our outspoken queen.

You can find a link to the interview here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ0lWxFZHYY

Her Campus Contributor Account 
creator.writer.blogger.journalist.sushi enthusiast. Victoria has been obsessed with writing since the days of journals and sneaking to read books under the covers. Her passion shows through each word that she carefully places into sentences, providing an experience that is nothing short of poetic and powerful. Read more of her work on her blog, quintessentiallyspeakingblog.wordpress.com