This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

State pride is something that is almost an American ideal. Claiming or repping where you are from is important to many people because not only does it give you a sense of identity but it helps you to connect to people who are from the same location. We have all seen state pride manifested in a variety of ways.  We have all seen the bumper stickers, t-shirts or even tattoos claiming their region. While all 50 American states add something unique to our country, without comparison New York is the best state for the following four reasons. 

1. THE FOOD! New York and specifically New York City is extremely diverse. Of course everyone knows the NY deli classics such as A Bacon Egg and Cheese or Chopped Cheese but NY houses a wide variety of food. Queens, New York holds the record for the most diverse place on Earth. With over 150 countries represented, you can truly find any and every cuisine you can imagine. With new restaurants sprouting up daily, you can find something for any and everyone. 

2. The music. New York has created some of the most popular genres in the world. From the creation of Hip-Hop and Salsa In the Bronx to Punk Rock in Queens, New York has birthed genres that have influenced the globe. It has also produced some of the greatest musicians of all time. Artists such as Nicki Minaj, Carole King, The Beastie Boys, Aaliyah, DMX and yes even Tupac were all either born or raised in New York. 

3. The Seasons. New York gives you the best of all four seasons. If you love the summer time, New York offers 14+ miles of beaches to choose from. New York even has world famous amusement parks such as Coney Island to help you get the full summer experience. If you’re someone who loves fall, upstate New York has beautiful parks such as Big Bear Park that showcases miles of breathtaking fall foliage. If you love winter, take a trip to the olympic ski resort Whiteface Mountain for amazing winter fun. If you like spring, New York’s botanical gardens host yearly flower shows that attract hundreds of crowds. 

4. Last and most importantly, the culture. New York culture is unlike anything in the world. From fashion to lingo, pop culture has evolved from New York. Bubble coats, Jordan’s, fitted baseball hats, are all staples in NY streetwear. 

So the next time you wear an outfit, eat your favorite dish, listen to music, remember to thank the great state of NY. 

Gabrielle Chenault is a senior journalism major with a concentration in political science from Queens, New York. She is a member of the cross country and track team. She also is the Lifestyle section editor of The Hampton Script, the parliamentarian of North P.A.C and a resident assistant. In her free time, Gabrielle loves to listen to music, travel and try new food from around the world.
Kiara Davis

Hampton U '21

Hello! My name is Kiara Davis, I am a junior strategic communications (PR) major, marketing minor from the land of 10,000 lakes, Saint Paul, Minnesota. I really love writing and have since I was young. I also really enjoy the performing arts which include dancing, singing, and musical theatre. Ever since I was young I have been apart of dance and musical programs. As for my goals in life, I would like to see myself working for an advertising agency, and eventually achieving my biggest career goal of becoming a business owner. My passion includes contributing to the change of the stereotypical view of African-American women in society. Black women are amazing in every aspect and I would like to help the entire world recognize that.