This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

My freshman homecoming this past year was uneventful, awkward, and drama-filled.  I will admit, however, 80 percent of the problem was… me. Don’t make my mistakes!

Being that it was my first college homecoming, I was more than excited to participate in all the festivities. At Hampton University, we have what we call bigs. A big is an upperclassman who “adopts” a little (a little is basically anyone younger than the big).  I got a big when I got to school, but after week ONE of school my bigs never texted me again. That being said, I had nobody to school me on how to make my homecoming lit. This is what I’d classify as the 20% percent that was not my fault, but did contribute to my lame homecoming. 

As a clueless freshman, I imagined that homecoming would just fall into my lap and this is where the downward spiral began. There’s actually a lot of preparation that goes into homecoming week.  I learned, a little late I might add, that you are supposed to buy tickets to parties and events weeks in advance. I thought I’d see a party flyer and just go. WRONG! I was only able to finesse one party ticket that week. To make matters worse, this party did not drop the location until the day of the party.  It ended up being 40 minutes off campus, so that uber destroyed my pockets, leaving me with even less money to buy things during that week.

During all of the stress that comes with homecoming alone, drama was flying through the air between my old friend group.  People were being fake, playing mind games, and using me. Considering that I did everything up to that point with that group only, I let them stand in the way of my fun. I waited around for them to make moves, but behind the scenes they made their own plans. I was feeling alone and hating my college experience. I kept thinking to myself, “Everyone said college would be the best four years of my life.  This can’t be the best that God has for me.” That entire week I only hung out with my bestfriend and the guy I was talking to. It felt like I watched everyone around me party and have a great time, while I was in my room, wondering why I came to HU. This all led up to the big day: Saturday.

My outfit game was tested like never before.  Saturday was a rather chilly day and the day of the football game, so I thought it made sense to wear my Hampton gear, a coat, and cute shoes. I had layers on. WRONG AGAIN! Although it was 40 degrees and raining, girls were dressed like they were going to the club or a Fashion Nova shoot. I was outside looking like a freshman. Not just a freshman, but a freshman who did not get the memo. I was uncomfortable and self-conscious. I felt like I wasn’t as pretty as the other girls or capable of pulling off those kinds of outfits. I was surely the odd one out. After I reflected on it for a while, I realized that they have their thing and I have mine; I don’t have to dress how they do just because that’s the status quo. I know I can pop out if I’m in the mood for it. Would I wear what I wore again? Yes. Why? A classy girl DOES get cold.

After last years’ failed antics, I’ve learned these important things: get cool with reliable upperclassmen, prepare for parties and events, do your own thing, and wear what YOU want.

Drew Miles

Hampton U '22

I am a junior English major with an area of emphasis in film studies at my Home by the Sea. Writers write.
I have the privilege to serve as Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Hampton U Chapter a second year! I am a graduating Senior, Strategic Communications major, Marketing minor currently studying at the illustrious Hampton University. I am from Richmond, VA (shoutout to the 804!). In addition to classes, I run my own creative agency, Tiana Nichelle Marketing where I specialize in social media management, content creation, public relations, and branding. My love for the PR and Communications industry is the reason my ultimate goal is to become a celebrity publicist in the upcoming years! Her Campus Hampton U is an organization that is near and dear to me and I am so happy to be a leader of this ELITE chapter!