This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

By the end of my sophomore year of highschool, I knew that I wanted to go to an HBCU, but I had to figure out which one it was going to be. If someone tried to tell me four years ago that I would be attending Hampton University, I probably would not have believed them. Being from Birmingham, AL, when it came to HBCUs, I never heard much about Hampton. I mostly heard about schools like Alabama A&M University, Alabama State University, Tuskegee University, Miles College, Spelman College, and the other HU, Howard University. I actually started looking at Hampton because I was searching for the rank of my number one choice at the time, Alcorn University, amongst other HBCUs. I found this site that had all of the schools ranked and after seeing Alcorn’s rank, something told me to just keep scrolling through the list, and that is when I stumbled across Hampton University. It caught my attention because it was the only school towards the top of the list that I didn’t really know anything about. Being totally honest, Hampton got added to my list under false pretenses; based on the information I read, I somehow thought that I would be able to get a scholarship without sending my ACT score. As someone who had at that point taken the ACT about seven or eight times and couldn’t score higher than a twenty-one, that was very appealing to me. Of course, later on, I came to the realization that that was only for admission and not for scholarships, but I kept it on the list because I had done so much research on Hampton at this point that I could imagine it as a real option. Then the start of my senior year came and I was down to my final list of schools: Alcorn State University, Hampton University, Tuskegee University, North Carolina A&T University, Claflin University, and Dillard University. By November, I had pretty much decided that I wanted to go to Hampton University. There were two things  that, for me, really set Hampton apart from all of the other HBCUs.

The Atmosphere

Although there are many negative things said about Hampton University, there was one thing that stuck out to me when doing research on Hampton. I kept seeing things about Hampton being a place for go-getters and people who strive for success. This meant a lot to me because one of the things I was most excited about when it came to college was being surrounded by like minded people. I wanted to be around people who strive for excellence and make me want to do better and do great things. I also wanted to be in a place that effectively prepares you for the professional world, and provides the necessary experience to be successful, which Hampton is. I also liked the fact that the majority of the class sizes were small because I find that I have an easier time paying attention and learning in an intimate class setting. When researching Hampton, I found that it was a place that could help hone my skills so that I may be prepared for my future upon graduation.

The Campus

Kierstyn Chambers is a first year English Education Major, from Birmingham, Alabama. She enjoys helping people and making the people around her happy. She plans to become a teacher and try to help low income school systems. She also loves movies and poetry.
I have the privilege to serve as Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Hampton U Chapter a second year! I am a graduating Senior, Strategic Communications major, Marketing minor currently studying at the illustrious Hampton University. I am from Richmond, VA (shoutout to the 804!). In addition to classes, I run my own creative agency, Tiana Nichelle Marketing where I specialize in social media management, content creation, public relations, and branding. My love for the PR and Communications industry is the reason my ultimate goal is to become a celebrity publicist in the upcoming years! Her Campus Hampton U is an organization that is near and dear to me and I am so happy to be a leader of this ELITE chapter!