mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why College Girls Get Sugar Daddy?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

As a college student, we’ve all been the girl with 87 cents in her bank account. We’ve been the girl that wore the same five outfits in a week cause home is nine hours away. (who could pack a semester worth of clothes in one suitcase??). Don’t act like you don’t know what Im talking about! We’ve most definitely been that girl eating cup noodles drenched in texas pete hot sauce cause the cafe just wasn’t cutting it that day! Through all these tough times maybe once, or twice you may have jokingly screamed “UGH I NEED A SUGAR DADDY”. But there is seriousness to this statement that’s blurted out in frustration. Sometimes college life gets really raw and dry and support is highly needed. Mom and Dad can’t always come to the rescue and spot you with a $20, $50, or $100. Sugar daddies have been a common resort for college girls. The question pondered upon and sought out after was; why do college girls get sugar daddies?

I took to the general population of Hampton University students on this matter. I interviewed 3 first year freshmen about this topic; Siani Paige-Miller, Ananda Temple, and Nahla Darcuiel. Here are the top 5 reasons Hampton university students think college girls get sugar daddies!

1. Financial Needs

As women, it is a fact that we spend more than men ever will. We spend money on beauty products, hair, tampons, feminie needs, clothes, and shoes. Knowing you have support from a man to fund these basic necessities is sometimes clutch. Not all women are material girls, but just knowing you have enough bread to make it through the week is comforting. Not saying you should pimp out your time or energy into a man just for a little bit of cash, but there are actually guys out there who know the college struggle and want to help out.  One of the ladies I interviewed named Siani Paige Miller states “If I had a sugar daddy, I would definitely use him for a car!”

1. Attention

Not all girls get the attention they need. Sugar daddies usually are just what the name sounds like; sweet. Being battered in compliments while being showered in gifts is a dream for some girls. ‘’ a quote from my interview with Nahla Darcuiel claims “ Attention from men is something a lot of people wish they could get” . Just think about it, you’re hours away from home and your friends, the campus gets boring, and the routine gets repetitive. Whether you’ll admit it or not sad girl hours are true and being loved by a rich man tends to be an option for college girls. Also you have to accept the fact that not all girls like guys their age. The money is not a sole factor of a sugar daddy. Having an older man fetish is very real; Jay Z is 11 years older than Beyonce!

1. Tuition

At the illustrious Hampton University tuition is not $10k, not $20k, not $30, but $40k a year. Loans give people anxiety, especially when you have no scholarships with the loans. Also over time those loans start to add interest and it would be perfect if there was someone paying it off for us. “I would want him to pay for all four years plus my masters”. Siani stated with a chuckle. Wouldn’t we all? Sallie Mae wants her money on time!!!!

1. Food

In college, it is a 100% guarantee that meals will get repetitive. Going out and splurging on a #1 from chick-fil-a with a large fry and milkshake is LOVE, yet super pricey. Those $10 meals add up! You can’t order postmates or uber eats every night! Being a student with limited cash flow make sugar daddies ideal. Once you provide a girl with a meal you have a place in her heart! But don’t get it twisted buying food does not equal favors or ownership. The male offered it so that was his decision; you were just the recipient.             5. Homecoming / Vacations

Homecoming is a time for HBCU students to pop out. There is so much to do during that whole week. ‘Popping Out’ is a sport ! Outfits that week are expected to be fire. Girls don’t want to shop on the sale rack of fashion nova; they want designer. Chanel Bag and Michael Kors wallets become the norm when dealing with Sugar Daddies. Also spring break is big for college students. Cuba, Orlando, California, and Las Vegas trips rack up. Every girl loves a good vacation. Believe it or not Sugar daddies do fund those extravagant trips you see online. Nobody wants to be the girl thats at home watching her friends from snapchat story because she couldn’t afford to go to spring break. 

In conclusion, Just because tons of college students have sugar daddies does not mean you have to. But, if you do be safe with this big decision, make sure your reasons are valid and make sure no strings are attached from the jump. Having a sugar daddy seems lit, convenient, and fun. JUst know you are still an independent queen who can get it on your own. You can be your own sugar daddy by putting the work in your education. Yet, if a man is willing to spend on you that is completely fine as long as it aligns with your morals!

Blogger, Influencer, fashionista, and writer from Atlanta, Georgia! Hampton university 2023! First Year Journalism student Subscribe to my Youtube Channel : youtube.com/c/MyeshiaFlawless
I have the privilege to serve as Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Hampton U Chapter a second year! I am a graduating Senior, Strategic Communications major, Marketing minor currently studying at the illustrious Hampton University. I am from Richmond, VA (shoutout to the 804!). In addition to classes, I run my own creative agency, Tiana Nichelle Marketing where I specialize in social media management, content creation, public relations, and branding. My love for the PR and Communications industry is the reason my ultimate goal is to become a celebrity publicist in the upcoming years! Her Campus Hampton U is an organization that is near and dear to me and I am so happy to be a leader of this ELITE chapter!