This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

It’s that time of year everyone: Thanksgiving! At this time of year people, particularly college students, are mentally, physically, and emotionally over the semester. All they want to do is go back home, sleep a ton, eat a lot, and not be bothered. So it’s natural that during this time there is a bunch of things you would rather not do, and people you don’t want to see.  Here’s a list of people of who NOT to invite to Thanksgiving dinner.

Ex Boyfriend

Nobody ever wants to see their ex (it’s an ex for a reason). Especially at a time of giving thanks and being grateful for some things. Seeing them can stir up emotions you might have thought was gone forever. In some cases, the Ex can still be cool with your mother, and she secretly wants you guys to get back together. Don’t bring that negative energy over here! 

Crazy Family Members 

Not every family perfectly coexists with each other. They sometimes have their ups and downs, but at the end of the day you’re still family. But, there is always that one family member who always holds a grudge and won’t get over the time you broke their vase (even though it was ten years ago). Maybe having them in a setting where they’ll cause a scene isn’t exactly the best idea. 

Side Chick/Dude

Don’t even THINK about it. You may think you’re slick with it, but we all know they aren’t your actually partner. Since we’re family though, we’ll keep your secret. Just don’t have them eating up all of our food. And no to-go plates. If I slip up and say the wrong name, that’s not my fault. 

Probation Officer

I know you guys are cool and everything, but don’t bring that man to my house please. God forbid he sees something that he shouldn’t. 

Gang Members 

What you do the other 364 days of the year has nothing to do with me and should not be brought around the family. So don’t bring that nonsense into the household. 

Mistress

Ever notice your uncle bring a “friend” twenty years his junior, and his wife is supposedly with her family? STOP HIM! she better come prepared because intruding questions will be asked. 

Thanksgiving is the time of year to spend with your family and friends. Wait all day until the food is done around three in the afternoon, take a nap, and do it again when you wake up. Having miscellaneous people at the dinner table will most certainly mess up the vibe you had going on.

Briana Previlon is a junior at Hampton University where she is pursuing a major in Political Science on the Pre-Law track. When she is not writing, you can find her listening to music, watching Harry Potter, or hanging out with her friends.
I have the privilege to serve as Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Hampton U Chapter a second year! I am a graduating Senior, Strategic Communications major, Marketing minor currently studying at the illustrious Hampton University. I am from Richmond, VA (shoutout to the 804!). In addition to classes, I run my own creative agency, Tiana Nichelle Marketing where I specialize in social media management, content creation, public relations, and branding. My love for the PR and Communications industry is the reason my ultimate goal is to become a celebrity publicist in the upcoming years! Her Campus Hampton U is an organization that is near and dear to me and I am so happy to be a leader of this ELITE chapter!