Life > Experiences

Where’s The Spirit?: A Look Into Hampton University’s Lack of School Spirit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Like many of my peers my college experience has been anything, but typical. All of my current classmates have experienced what it’s like to be a college student during a global pandemic and a nationwide shutdown. Not having those first years on campus or being taken away from campus too soon has substantially impacted the atmosphere on Hampton University’s campus. After being on campus I was a little let down by my expectations of what college would be but decided to charge that to the Covid-19 pandemic outrage. Now, I’m entering the end of my second year on campus and the first full year of Campus being officially open since the pandemic started. A lot of procedures and protocols have been taken less seriously, allowing for things to go back to pre-covid Hampton culture. But is this something that we, as the student body can still achieve?

The best student experience in the country?

A lot of students make the effort to try and make the Hampton experience a better one for the study body, but there still seems to be a disconnect. I don’t know if this comes from the upperclassmen not being properly acquainted with this experience so they aren’t able to set the tone for the classes under them, or if it’s just the students general attitude towards being involved in student activities. I do know that there needs to be a change for the better to get Hampton back to its previously known status. Seeing Hampton University Alumni post and reflect on their days on campus is always so bittersweet to know that I might not ever get that experience. I also want to add that it might not only be Hampton students that are dealing with this currently, students at other colleges have been expressing the very same thoughts and opinions. This introduces the question of whether or not it’s our generations problem and not something administration-wise. 

“Don’t post that!”

Has social media ruined our perceptions on what college should be. Back in the day, when our parents were young and turnt (like we claim to be now), there were no cell phones and social media platforms to be worried about ending up on. This can be seen as a privilege, having someone’s camera flash in your face while you’re having a good time can hinder you from wanting to go out. Another way social media has indirectly affected our school spirit is that nobody wants to come out to the sports games, the Holland parties, or even a 12-2 now known as 4-6 in the student center, until they see other people posting the vibes on their instagram stories or posting on fizz about it.

how we can change for the better

The school spirit doesn’t just magically show up and make the event fun, the students need to bring the spirit when they attend these events. If we shift our use of social media towards promoting school spirit, the whole atmosphere surrounding these events will change and create a better college experience for us all. No matter our situations and circumstances, we all ended up at the same university; dealing with the same professors, administrators, and the various hampton runarounds. It is up to us to show up and show out when it comes to having fun on campus and making memories that last forever. So the next time you want to go to that basketball game, just go, and bring a friend or two! Go to the next holland and sing along to the words of the songs you know and even the ones that you don’t know. Curate the experience that you want and don’t let what other people do decide for you before you can decide for yourself. Hopefully as the years go by we will have more school spirit than what we currently have, and the incoming students will no the true definition of the Hampton Experience.

Serenity Smith

Hampton U '24

Hi!! I'm a graduating senior at Hampton University majoring in psychology with a premedical concentration from Prince George’s County, Maryland. I'm passionate about mental health and writing. My most creative outlet is writing poetry, but I have a newfound love of writing articles about topics important to me.