Career

Where are They Now? Catching up with InStyle Editor and Hampton Almuna, Asia Ware

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Asia Ware is a fashion and women empowerment blogger from Queens, New York. She is a recent graduate of the illustrious Hampton University where she received her Bachelor of Arts degree in Strategic Communications. Asia works for InStyle and FashionBombDaily.

HC: What does Hampton University mean to you?

AW: Hampton University has a special place in my heart because it groomed me into the woman I am today. The organizations, friends that become family, and everything I encountered for 4 years I thank Hampton for. It made me stronger and helped me understand to stand out wherever I go in this world.

HC: How did you start working for InStyle?

AW: My big sister from Hampton was an editorial intern when she graduated Hampton and recommended me and I was blessed enough to be placed with the Editor-In-Chief as her intern!

HC: What is your top goal for 2018?

AW: I have a lot of goals for 2018; big and small. I would say my number one goal is to be fearless. Accomplishing this one goal will open so many other doors that will allow better access to all of my other goals that I have set for myself. My key to success is hurdling over my fears.

HC: Do you have any tips for college students who are trying to build their brand?

AW: Put in the work! Sometimes you’ll have to miss our on a fun weekend because you want to go to an event that will allow you to expand your brand, or you’ll have to carry yourself differently than others because you’re a walking brand. Also, don’t let people cheat you out of an opportunity because you’re in college. And lastly, be authentically you. I always stress to people that being you will get you exactly where you need to be.

HC: What is the blogger life like?

AW: It’s fun and has a lot of perks, but it can get a bit overwhelming with so many other obligations. I try to remind myself daily that my brand comes first, which includes blog content, etc. but unfortunately I’m still working on a successful balance.

HC: What is it like working for FashionBombDaily?

AW: It’s great! It’s so much fun, yet demanding. I’m constantly on my phone on social media stalking celebrity style or posting to the pages I edit. I’m also always writing, but those hardworking moments pay off while I’m out and about at events or just watching my work flourish. But, it is a lot of work to sum that answer up.

HC: When did you realize that you wanted to become a blogger?

AW: My freshman year at Hampton when everyone would always ask me about my outfits and I wanted to have a platform where I was able to share that and my journey. I didn’t know what my journey would be, but I felt that it would be a fun one to follow and now it is! (Well, I hope) lol.

HC: What does success mean to you?

AW: Success to me means finding your purpose, accomplishing your goals with that purpose and giving back opportunities in whatever way possible to lead a long chain of success behind. Legacy is important to me.

HC: Where do you want your career to go?

AW: So many places. It’s a bit mentally overwhelming sometimes, but ultimately I want to flourish in the fashion industry and work for myself down the line and be able to create and live the life that I both desire and deserve. Whatever that looks like in career form is where I want to go, I don’t know my final destination, but I know what my success looks like.

HC: How do you find the balance between your personal life and career?

AW: Unfortunately, I don’t. I’m working on it, I’ve been at lounges before on my phone searching for content and my friends brought it up to me. I’m a natural born hustler, but I’m also a workaholic— there’s a thin line between the two and I’m searching for my balance. Right now my career is my life, I am eager to find that balance this year.

HC: What is your favorite store to shop at?

AW: I have a few — ASOS, H&M, and Zara would probably be my top picks! I can always be chic and sexy if I wanted to as well.

HC: Who are you most inspired by?

AW: Most recently, I’m most inspired by Myleik, owner of CurlBOX and she also has a podcast. Her words always seem to speak directly to me and she has a saying,”You can’t outwork me.” And that’s where I’m at with my life. You can have whatever one-ups you want on me, but my work ethic is unmatched and I strive to outwork everyone around me. Myleik gets that and she preaches that. She is extremely inspirational!

To keep up with Asia check out her website www.asiamilia.com and follow her on Instagram @missasiamilia

Anyaé Johns

Hampton U '21

Anyaé Johns is a graduating senior Journalism major/Leadership Studies and Cinema Studies minor from New Jersey. Anyaé is a part of the William R. Harvey Leadership Institute, HerCampus, NAACP, Phi Eta Sigma, and the Hampton Script. She is a writer and a mentor.