This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

It’s homecoming season! This is the time of year when many HBCU communities come together for a time of reconnecting and celebration. Growing up, I remember watching and later attending homecoming with my parents. However, homecoming will be different this year. Many universities have decided to forego homecoming celebrations altogether or make them virtual. So, I wanted to interview my friends at Fisk University about their HBCU experience and their expectations for homecoming this year. Fisk University was founded in 1866 and is located in Nashville,Tennessee. It is also known for its rich history and influence during the Civil Rights movement. I want to thank my friends Zipporah (@__.zipporah.__), Valeah (@vcope_), and Maddyson (@maddy.babbyyyy) for their time!

Why did you choose Fisk University?

Zipporah: I chose Fisk University because it is a HBCU. I also choose it because of the family environment I received when I came to visit campus. Lastly, I chose it because of the basketball  program.

Valeah: I chose Fisk because of the small and congenial environment. The students and faculty make sure everyone is comfortable, and on the right track. I also chose Fisk because of its rich history.

Maddyson:I chose Fisk because of the small environment and because it is an HBCU. I have anxiety and I knew that if I went to a big school where I only represented a small percentage of students I would feel very uncomfortable and I wouldn’t be able to be a successful scholar. 

Are you the first in your family to attend an HBCU? Did it have an impact on your decision?

ZD: Yes, I am the first in my family to choose an HBCU. It didn’t have a huge impact on my decision because my parents just wanted me to go where I was happy.

VC: No, both of my parents attended HBCUs. They told me about the historical significance of many schools, which impacted my college decision.

MB: No, I am actually the third generation in my family to attend a HBCU. My mother and my grandmother both attended HBCUs in their home states, but I am the first one to go out of state to attend school. 

How has your HBCU experience been despite the COVID-19 pandemic?

ZD: I really haven’t received the HBCU experience due to how Fisk is handling COVID-19. However, I am hoping to receive one before the year is out.

VC: Although most of our campus events are virtual, I am still enjoying my HBCU experience. Many of us are finding new ways to have fun and socialize.

MB: Unfortunately, yes it has but I am still enjoying my time at one because we’re still receiving an experience like no other.

Zipporah, you mentioned that you are playing basketball at Fisk. How has the season been despite COVID-19 restrictions?

ZD: We haven’t really been able to practice. They pushed our games back until January. We just started practicing this week.

Valeah, what is something you learned about Fisk once you got to campus?

VC: I like the school’s art museum. It used to be the gymnasium, and was one of the few HBCUs to have one. They now have different art collections, including one by Georgia O’Keeffe and her husband. She donated them to Fisk in the 40s. The school also has murals in Cravath Hall by artist Aaron Douglas.

I know most HBCUs aren’t having the traditional homecoming this year. Has there been any talk at Fisk about potential homecoming plans this school year?

ZD: I haven’t heard any homecoming plans for Fisk. 

VC: I haven’t heard any potential homecoming plans.

MB: From what I’ve heard we might have homecoming in the spring semester along with some other HBCUs but a lot of it is just optimistic speculation because no one wants to miss homecoming.

I know we all have a different idea about homecoming – especially with the older generation and Beyonce’s Coachella performance. What does homecoming mean to you?

ZD: Homecoming is the celebration when alumni come to Fisk. I honestly haven’t had a true homecoming experience. So, I was really excited to see what Fisk had planned.

VC: Homecoming is a time to connect with current students, and alumni, to celebrate the school. I attended Fisk’s homecoming last year, and met many students. They gave me helpful advice, and showed me around campus.

MB: Homecoming is a time to have fun and interact with people from all different ages and bond over the school you attend. I went to Fisk’s homecoming in 2018 with my godmother and it was really fun. I’m excited to get a chance to have fun.

What is it about Fisk that you want others to know?

ZD: Everyone is going through hard times right now due to COVID-19, but Fisk is a great school that is trying its best to allow us to have a fun school year while being safe.

VC: Fisk has produced a number of authors, civil rights activists, and politicians. These individuals motivate us to strive for excellence everyday. The students here are passionate about their future endeavors, and enhancing the lives of people in their community.

MB: Fisk has an amazing and rich history  when it comes to black talent and the civil rights era and should be recognized for it. My university has taken care of the education of young black people for over a century and continues to do so now with the way they’re handing COVID-19 and providing us with a chance to experience some HBCU culture. 

Madison Davis is a senior, Psychology major, Communications minor from Memphis, TN. She enjoys traveling, cooking, and playing with her dogs, Pyper and Jamocha! She's honored to share her experiences through her writing with the HerCampus community. Feel free to visit her Instagram page @maddyecamille!
I have the privilege to serve as Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Hampton U Chapter a second year! I am a graduating Senior, Strategic Communications major, Marketing minor currently studying at the illustrious Hampton University. I am from Richmond, VA (shoutout to the 804!). In addition to classes, I run my own creative agency, Tiana Nichelle Marketing where I specialize in social media management, content creation, public relations, and branding. My love for the PR and Communications industry is the reason my ultimate goal is to become a celebrity publicist in the upcoming years! Her Campus Hampton U is an organization that is near and dear to me and I am so happy to be a leader of this ELITE chapter!