photo of corn field
photo of corn field
Aaron Burden/Unsplash

What Not to Ask a College Student at Thanksgiving Dinner

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Thanksgiving is tomorrow, so you know what that means. Sweet potato pie, oven-roasted turkey, glazed ham, and that undefeated mac and cheese and yams combo? Yes, but that’s not all. It also means tons of family members will be coming to visit–even the ones you might have preferred to stay home. With that being said, here are a few questions you should prepare yourself to hear for the billionth time this Thanksgiving. 

1. “You didn’t invite your boo to dinner?” 

It never fails. There’s always that one family member who asks about your significant other, whether he/she exists or not. Typically, they just want to find out if you even have a significant other. Keep this in mind: you aren’t obligated to explain your love life to your family. When you feel comfortable bringing him/her around, you’ll do so. And if you don’t have a significant other, that’s perfectly fine, too. 

2. “What happened to *blank*?”

Whether it’s an ex-lover or an ex-friend, there’s nothing more annoying than a family member bringing up someone who isn’t in your life anymore. The concept is really simple– don’t ask me about anyone you don’t see me with. However, despite how irritating it may be, you have to realize that some of these family members may not have seen you in months or years. So, last time they checked, that person was in your life. This question is usually asked out of genuine concern, and not just nosiness. So, respectfully tell them that you don’t associate with that person anymore, and keep it pushing. 

3. “What are your post-grad plans?”

UGH. Remember when I said there’s nothing more annoying than someone asking “What happened to *blank*?” I lied. This one definitely tops that. If you’re a graduating senior, not a day goes by that you don’t think about your future. After all, it is right around the corner. The pressure is on, and it’s even worse when you’ve got a bunch of family members reminding you of it every 5 seconds. If you have it all figured out, then this question will probably be an easy one for you to answer. But if you don’t, that’s OK. Be honest about it. Nine times out of 10, the same family members asking about your post-grad plans didn’t have their plans figured out immediately either.

4. “You don’t drink or smoke, do you?” 

You know those family members who act like they didn’t do “college stuff” when they were in college? Lol. Your answer to this question will probably vary based on the type of family you have. If your family is laid back and realistic, then go for it. You have nothing to hide. If your family is on the stricter side, you can give them the politically correct answer. (They already know what’s up regardless.)  

5. “What have you been eating?” 

The “Freshman 15” is no secret. It’s normal for college students to gain weight because, for the first time, you’re responsible for your own diet. It’s up to you whether you want to eat a balanced meal or Chick-fil-A every day. If you’ve put on a couple of pounds, there’s nothing to be ashamed of; but it can be offensive when a family member brings it up. The same goes for college students who’ve lost weight or haven’t gained much. Although it’s normal to gain weight in college, it’s not a requirement. No matter your body type, one thing is for sure: you’re aware of it. You look in the mirror every day. There’s no need to be reminded of it. If it’s something you aren’t comfortable talking about, change the subject; or if you really want to spice things up, clap back. Ask your family members about their diets, and I’m sure they won’t bring up yours again. 

Any time your entire family is under one roof, you’re likely to be annoyed by someone or something. That’s life. At the same time though, having your entire family under one roof is a blessing. Focus on that instead, and you’ll be able to make the most out of any family gathering. Happy Thanksgiving!

Ayanna Maxwell

Hampton U '20

Ayanna Maxwell is a graduating senior, strategic communications major at Hampton University. Originally from Baltimore, Maryland, Ayanna chose to attend Hampton because she admired the HBCU experience. A proud Virgo, she shares a birthday with her favorite singer, Beyonce (September 4th). Ayanna is also a Spring 2018 initiate into the Gamma Theta Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated.
I have the privilege to serve as Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Hampton U Chapter a second year! I am a graduating Senior, Strategic Communications major, Marketing minor currently studying at the illustrious Hampton University. I am from Richmond, VA (shoutout to the 804!). In addition to classes, I run my own creative agency, Tiana Nichelle Marketing where I specialize in social media management, content creation, public relations, and branding. My love for the PR and Communications industry is the reason my ultimate goal is to become a celebrity publicist in the upcoming years! Her Campus Hampton U is an organization that is near and dear to me and I am so happy to be a leader of this ELITE chapter!