This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

When most people hear about a love language they only think of gifts and physical touch. The five love languages are; physical touch, words of affirmation, acts of service, receiving gifts and quality time. Many people also have a combination of love languages so if you feel that you lean towards two or three, that’s perfectly normal. The best way to find out what your love language is finding out what you like in a relationship. 

Physical Touch

If you’re someone who loves to hold hands, kiss and be close to your partner, your love language is most likely physical touch. Something interesting is since the beginning of the pandemic, more people are aligning themselves with this due to the lack of human contact and physical touch. Having a physical touch love language also means you communicate a lot through your body language. Hugs from friends or your significant other are truly important to you and you best communicate through physical emotions. 

Words of Affirmation 

You are someone who thrives through words of encouragement. Someone who has this as their love language loves good morning text and just simple reminders throughout the day about how you love them and are rooting for their success. A great gift for someone with this love language is letters. Expressing yourself in a letter will mean a lot to this person but words are their primary way of communication. 

Acts of Service

If you’re this love language, you love for your significant other to help you with small or big tasks. Someone with this love language loves when their partner or friend eases their stress by taking a task off their hands. The best way to show your affection for someone with this love language is by doing small tasks for them without having them ask. They truly appreciate your help with important tasks they have to do so by alleviating their workload, you are catering to their needs. 

Quality Time 

When someone’s love language is quality time, they love being around you and doing activities with you. Someone with this love language just simply likes to be in the presence of their significant other. This doesn’t mean you have to do elaborate activities with the person. Just a simple day at home, watching a movie together or facetiming will satisfy your significant other. It’s also really important to remember that during your quality time with them, they want your undivided attention. Try to limit distractions such as your phone. 

Receiving Gifts 

The last and most misinterpreted love language is receiving gifts. When most people think of this love language they believe the person is materialistic or is only in the relationship for monetary gain. Receiving gifts doesn’t mean getting them something expensive. It could be a small trinket that reminds them of you, something that reminds them of home or even a shirt from your favorite vacation together. Gifts don’t always need to be expensive, they just need to be from the heart. 

As Valentine’s Day is approaching, make sure you learn your significant others love language to get them the best gift possible. Remember it doesn’t matter how much you spend, just make sure your gift is from the heart.

Gabrielle Chenault is a senior journalism major with a concentration in political science from Queens, New York. She is a member of the cross country and track team. She also is the Lifestyle section editor of The Hampton Script, the parliamentarian of North P.A.C and a resident assistant. In her free time, Gabrielle loves to listen to music, travel and try new food from around the world.
Kiara Davis

Hampton U '21

Hello! My name is Kiara Davis, I am a junior strategic communications (PR) major, marketing minor from the land of 10,000 lakes, Saint Paul, Minnesota. I really love writing and have since I was young. I also really enjoy the performing arts which include dancing, singing, and musical theatre. Ever since I was young I have been apart of dance and musical programs. As for my goals in life, I would like to see myself working for an advertising agency, and eventually achieving my biggest career goal of becoming a business owner. My passion includes contributing to the change of the stereotypical view of African-American women in society. Black women are amazing in every aspect and I would like to help the entire world recognize that.