freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Ladies has there ever been a time when you’ve been dropping hints for Valentine’s Day and your man lets you down. You’ve given every “cough, cough” idea, slyly brought up gifts and gift ideas, or accidentally on purpose sent messages to him that were supposed to be for your best friend?

Well, to all the significant other’s that aren’t really sure of what to do, this can help.

What girls really want is effort. We want our “guy” to understand that we want to receive what we put out. Many times, women go into situations, especially relationships, giving all of them; nothing more nothing less. We give our hearts, our minds, our bodies, our space, our finances (sometimes) and so much more. By effort we mean, try. Many times, men use the excuse that they aren’t “creative enough” or “exciting enough” to come up with fresh ideas. But, it’s not always about the end product, but about the process. As women, if we’re interested, we see through what you feel you “lack” to appreciate what you’ve done.

What girls really want is attention. It takes no planning to bring your girl to your house, decorate, and just show her attention for Valentine’s Day. Especially, if spending time together is not something you guys get to do often. Show her that you’re grateful to have her. Show her that you’re better off with her. Show her that together you both exhibit power, and that you don’t want to be without her.

What girls really want is understanding. To understand, you must listen. We want you to actually hear us when we drop our subliminal hint and date ideas. We want you to watch our retweets and favorites (the favorites always have our deepest desires). Using those subliminal hints to plan can show your girl that you hear what she says when she speaks to you, you care about her enough to try to execute her desires, and even if you can’t you understand that the time you spend together is valuable.

What girls really want is bragging rights. This may sound juvenile, but women want a date/time spent together that we can run and tell our girls. Men imagine being the reason why your woman cannot stop talking about you to her friends and family. Girls really want the ability to boast about our man’s love and creativity for and towards us.

Happy Valentine-ing! Don’t forget…. Girls need love too.

Jazmin Lee

Hampton U '20

Jazmin Lee is a junior, Biology major from the "Queen City" Charlotte, NC. Her hobbies include singing/writing music, reading everything from poetry to blogs, and of course......socializing. She is currently studying at the illustrious Hampton University.