absolutvision WYd PkCa1BY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision WYd PkCa1BY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

After hearing about the tragic rape and murder of University of Illinois student Ruth George I was completely disgusted. It is alleged that she was killed because she did not respond to a catcall. A catcall is a form of harassment. By definition, a catcall is “to make a whistle, shout, or comment of a sexual nature to a woman passing by.”  This hits home for me and so many other women as well. Catcalling happens too often when we’re walking down the street just trying to mind our business. 

image: gulfnews.com

Ruth’s murder should spark a conversation about toxic masculinity and men thinking of women as “objects.” Now, that absolutely does not mean that I believe all men are like this. But, obviously, some men are. Catcalling is something all women relate to. Personally, we don’t see it as “cute” and do not think it’s attractive when men do it. The majority of the time, when men make sexual advances or harass us for a phone number it is downright disturbing. When we express our discomfort with them speaking to us, sometimes they get offended. What men like this need to understand is: we do not owe them anything. Not a receptive giggle, a phone number, or a date. If they think that we do, they play a role in the issue regarding toxic masculinity. If we do not want to speak to someone, we do not have to. Some men need to learn that rejection is a natural part of life and not to take it as far as calling us out of our names or getting angry with us. Ruth George did not deserve to be murdered. In my opinion, this should be a wake up call for people to acknowledge that catcalling IS a serious issue. If we don’t, we are supporting the saying that “boys will be boys” – an excuse that gives men the audacity to believe that women owe them something whether that be a conversation or sex.

Avari Fauconier a graduating senior, criminal justice major from Staten Island, New York. She enjoys drawing and writing in her spare time. Avari is also hoping to have a career as an FBI agent. She is a strong believer in self love and not letting fear or insecurities keeping you from trying new things.
I have the privilege to serve as Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Hampton U Chapter a second year! I am a graduating Senior, Strategic Communications major, Marketing minor currently studying at the illustrious Hampton University. I am from Richmond, VA (shoutout to the 804!). In addition to classes, I run my own creative agency, Tiana Nichelle Marketing where I specialize in social media management, content creation, public relations, and branding. My love for the PR and Communications industry is the reason my ultimate goal is to become a celebrity publicist in the upcoming years! Her Campus Hampton U is an organization that is near and dear to me and I am so happy to be a leader of this ELITE chapter!